Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Hi I am teaching myself how to do SEO and I was wondering if there are any good free or cheap SEO programs (like SEO Elite) out there. Currently all I am using is the keyword tool on Google adwords. I don't really have the money to spend $170 on SEO Elite but if there was a cheap one that you would recommend then I would probably buy it (cheap as in under $30). Thanks for your time.
    Im pretty new to web design but I am learning fast. I will help if I can.
    Check out my sites http://www.mediareviewzone.com http://www.iamrobsmith.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The best tools, and the only ones worth using, are supplied by the search engines themselves.

Google Analytics.
    Google Webmaster Tools.
    The aforementioned keyword lookup tool.
    Bing Webmaster Tools

Let me use one of the third party tools as an example. I could pick just about any of them, but one should do:

http://www.semrush.com/info/strikespots.com

According to this tool, I receive 204 visitors from the first 20 search results per month. To give you an idea of the actual traffic I receive per month, you would have to add multiple zeroes to that figure. I won't say how many visitors I receive from search results per month, but the fact that it's at least a five-digit figure as opposed to three digits should suffice.

The top five phrases listed for .US? I get traffic from them, but not very much, and not in the top 5.
    The top five phrases listed for .CA? I get traffic from them, but not very much, but only one in the top 5.

The trend line? Yeah, there are peaks and valleys, but the valleys aren't as low as are indicated and they're not in January/February.

The big problem with these tools is that they're based on that which is available to the public, which really isn't very much. There is no substitute for analytics packages and the tools that allow you to track actual user traffic and what it's doing. Anything else is junk science.
    John Mc Grath likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Thanks for that information, I use all of Google's tools (i.e. analytics, webmaster tools) and find them very good for tracking the progress of my sites. My problem is the initial search engine optimization. For example figuring out which keywords to use and how many times the competitor uses them. Google's keyword tool is good for this but I used SEO Elite for the trial period and it was much easier. I can still achieve what I want with Google keyword but was just wondering if there was anything else. Thanks for your help though and I also wouldn't rely on anything other than Google for accurate information. Hopefully I can get my site into the five figure hits too.
    Im pretty new to web design but I am learning fast. I will help if I can.
    Check out my sites http://www.mediareviewzone.com http://www.iamrobsmith.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's just it...SEO Elite can't be using the same data Google is using (i.e. actual searches from Google users). In order to fully understand this, you need to look at this from the standpoint of Google (or Bing, for that matter). Google isn't going to sell or even give away that information to a tool provider such as SEO Elite, simply because SEO Elite's sole purpose is to manipulate Google's product. Giving away or even selling the data is counterproductive to Google's primary goal (i.e. providing search results that are as relevant as possible).

This is also the biggest reason why Google and Bing introduced SEO tools. They had to in order to counteract the proliferation of crap tools and bad advice out there and provide something that people could use that would provide more accurate information than the third-party tools.

I don't blame you for looking at tools like SEO Elite...they sound good and they're easier to use. They're just junk science tools, that's all. You kind of have to sacrifice usability in the interest of more accurate data (although Google has gotten a lot better from the usability point of view in the last couple of weeks).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    woorank

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    http://www.webdesignforums.net/threa...-2#post-243341

Again, well-meaning advice, but it falls under the same class as SEMRush.

Remove Ads