Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Advice Needed

Member #
    I've been learning web programming using ASP.Net. I know back-end programming, asp.net controls and enough html, css, javascript to know what it is when i see it. I'm lacking big time in web site design though and that's what I want to tackle now. I have photoshop, dreamweaver and fireworks installed on my computer but I don't have a single book on either of these applications.

What I think that I need and want is a good book on Web Design. I want a book that will show me how to code the mystery stuff that I hear about all the time; psd slicing and stuff??? Did I get that right? Do I need seperate books for fireworks and photoshop AND web design? Or can I get a book that mentions all those applications? Also I'm not crazy about being too bogged down in Dreamweaver while following along in whichever web site design book I get since I'm a Visual Studio guy. Any suggestions?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    There have been several (rather elaborate) discussions on this forum (as well as other forums) about the differences between "design" and "development". Most of us, speaking for myself, are good at one or the other, but not both. I have no "design" or graphic art skills. So I concentrate on the "development" parts ... the programming (PHP, MySQL, Perl, JQuery, AJAX, etc.), the parts that actually make the website work. For "design" aspects, I partner with someone else. She knows nothing about "development", but does know how to do Photoshop, graphic software, etc.

If you are more interested in graphic arts and design, stick to that. When creating websites, online apps, or native apps, find a partner that has the programming "development" skills needed.

Member #
    Yes I'm well aware that generally speaking we are either good at one or the other. And for now I'm better at develpment. But the reason I'm better at development is because that's all that I have ever done. I come from a desktop programming background for what it's worth. I don't intend to switch over to design. I can stick to my forte which is development and dabble in web design if I want.

Anyway folks, any good books recommended?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I've never used any books. They always seem to be out-dated. Things change too fast.

Maybe someone else has some good experiences with books?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    "Design" has changed so much in just the past few years, that most of the books are going to focus on "old styles"...

The fact that you mentioned slicing psd files.... Forget that, people serious about web design quit using that process many years ago. Why ? Because slicing is so graphics heavy, uses tables for layouts, and are generally "fixed width" designs. With all the new browsers and mobile devices you should focus on liquid layouts that adjust to a users screen.

Photoshop is a great tool for "graphic design" ... That's it, nothing else. Fireworks is trimmed down version... Great for quick stuff... Or if you take the time to learn it... You can do pretty much everything you need for web design with it ( that's all I use for graphics)

there are numerous sites that deal with current design processes... By all accounts everyone is talking about HTML5 and CSS3, but for someone starting out... Focus on XHTML and CSS, once you get a good basic understanding and grasp on that... They are similar enough that you can start moving in that direction, by then maybe all browsers will support it.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    That's not totally true. You can slice PSD files in Photoshop. The key, though, is that you want the "images only" option and not the corresponding bloated HTML.

As far as books go, I'd say what others have said. The best resources are online, since websites are more likely to be kept up to date...and even those are trial and error.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads