Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    I have windows right now as I can't afford a mac. I am learning Wordpress coding and want to make my own themes so I need to modify my index.php and style.css file constantly. But it is obviously a HUGE pain to do this in notepad and manually re-upload the file to cPanel every time I make a tiny change.

I noticed in tutorials that people are using Macs and they can edit the files right in their cPanel without having to exit and reupload. How can I do this in Windows?

Any help much appreciated
    Sean

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I don't use the cPanel - I find it slow and clunky. I do my development in WAMP on my local computer,and then when I'm finished I upload using Filezilla.

If you're developing for Wordpress, you need to be careful how you edit the core files - look into making Child Themes instead - that way you can keep your changes and the sites won't break with upgrades.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The operating system has absolutely nothing to do with it. It has to do with the file editor being used, and it's part of cPanel (11 at least...I'm not 100% sure about earlier versions). All you need is a browser. When you log into your cPanel, there's a File Manager. Click that, and then navigate to the file you want to edit and edit it...if that's what you want to do. So the good news is that you don't need to waste money on Apple products if this is the only reason.

However, you're actually using the better approach. You're far better off making the changes locally and uploading them, if for no other reason than if your site ever goes down or your host goes insanely stupid tomorrow, you've at least got backups of your stuff.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Rule # 1 - never work on live code in a production environment.

Sure... If you're editing static HTML files... There's a little room for error here... But if you mess up a PHP include file on a WP install... You're just asking for trouble.

The editor built into Cpanel was never intended as a development environment, its main purpose was for "quick" or simple fix edits since in a shared environment you don't have access to out your choice of editor on the server.

Best practice in "development", setup an identical server offline, make and test your changes to code there... When it works and is stable, make a copy of your current files you're replacing, then upload the newest versions.

Find an FTP client to upload files with... Much more simple for file management.

Member #
    Just messed up some PHP and destroyed my test site. Can't figure out what's wrong no matter where I look.

How do I set up an identical server offline? Can anyone point me in the right direction here? (you can tell Im a coding newb)

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    I can only speak to what I am use to and what I do is I use Dreamweaver (Disclaimer: DW is frowned upon because it tends to hinder your growth and I guess it produces incorrect, bloated code, but I start from a blank page so I think any bloated of incorrect code is from me, but anyways) and you can preview the page that you are working on and then I use FileZilla FTP (File Transfer Program) to upload to the live server. I never use the Cpanel, it is to cumbersome to say the least.

I am sure there are other programs that allow you to preview what you are coding, I just don't know them because I have only ever used DW and found it fits my level of need.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Thompson, post: 244366
    Just messed up some PHP and destroyed my test site. Can't figure out what's wrong no matter where I look.

How do I set up an identical server offline? Can anyone point me in the right direction here? (you can tell Im a coding newb)
    Check out WAMP ( assuming you're using windows )... It's a self contained group of programs that creates a development environment with apache web server, MySQL DB instance, and a PHP service.

Some designers I know actually have multiple shared accounts... Setup identically, they have a couple of domain names they setup their test environments on... Re-use the domain names as needed.

Cheaper to go with WAMP starting out... But ideally, in many instances you want your test environment as close to the same as the production environment.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You don't even necessarily need to go with WAMP if you're using Windows. You can install PHP + MySQL from the Microsoft Web Platform (it's free), and you'll be off and running. There are some difference in PHP in a Windows environment as opposed to PHP in an Apache environment (e.g. .htaccess doesn't really work), but for most things it's fine.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireproofgfx, post: 244367
    I can only speak to what I am use to and what I do is I use Dreamweaver (Disclaimer: DW is frowned upon because it tends to hinder your growth and I guess it produces incorrect, bloated code, but I start from a blank page so I think any bloated of incorrect code is from me, but anyways) and you can preview the page that you are working on and then I use FileZilla FTP (File Transfer Program) to upload to the live server. I never use the Cpanel, it is to cumbersome to say the least.

I am sure there are other programs that allow you to preview what you are coding, I just don't know them because I have only ever used DW and found it fits my level of need.
    I've been using DW since version 2.0, I actually installed the trial version (6 month trial), several times until I could afford to buy my own copy.

Back then wysiwyg editors were a new thing... I used it for years before I started focusing on standards based coding, and literally fell into CSS and XHTML ...

I haven't used the "design view" for anything in many years... Using only "code view", doesn't add any overhead to the to the code, and some of the builtin functionality of DW helps speed the process.

I've amassed close to a thousand snippets that I've attached to my libraries within DW ... When I'm developing I can use a template I've already created, drag in the snippets I need...

Instead of taking days or weeks to buildout a solid framework and infratructure... It may take me a couple of hours ...

I would never recommend a beginner to use DW, but if you already know the basics, stay away from the plug ins and code generators ... DW can be a powerful and useful development environment.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGAME1264, post: 244390
    You don't even necessarily need to go with WAMP if you're using Windows. You can install PHP + MySQL from the Microsoft Web Platform (it's free), and you'll be off and running. There are some difference in PHP in a Windows environment as opposed to PHP in an Apache environment (e.g. .htaccess doesn't really work), but for most things it's fine.
    You're exactly correct... I didn't even learn about WAMP until I heard people here talking about it... I used IIS and MySQL for several years... But moving into PHP coding a little more.. The windows installed version of PHP was lacking ( PHP for IIS is limited , usually several subversions behind ) and no .htaccess doesn't work on IIS.

WAMP just creates a development environment that just works and all the config commands are built into WAMP startup tools. You're able to turn off and on the different apache and PHP modules easily.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads