Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: URL shorteners

Member #
    What is the most popular URL shorteners? I have a blog and often leave URLs to another sites. My friend told me that I can get much money with URL shorteners.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I don't see how you would get money from shortening a URL, but the most popular ones I know of are t.co and bit.ly.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    URL shortener services, when thy were originally devised and setup were being done so to provide a service to readers, publishers etc.

And much like everything on the web, someone tried to see if they can make money from it.

Here's the short version:

If you want people to click on your links that you publish, make the full URL visible.

URL shortener a have become a risk lately as spammers and phishing exploits use them to do their dirty deeds in getting you to visit a site you might normally not.

When they first came out, just like many "fads" they were neat, but due to abuses, and potential security risk... Many people won't click on shortened links because they have no idea where they are going to be taken to. Or what will happen once they get there.

Some marketing people tried to bounce people through ADS ... People quit clicking their links, customers and clients got mad... They went away ( for the most part ).

If you want people to follow your links, put the full URL as the link.

Member #
    I always prefer Google URL shortener tool. I don't know how will it help in making money, but yes it may increase clicks on URLs because sometimes visibility of long URLs is not proper which bars visitors from clicking on the links.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardSamulat, post: 244670
    I always prefer Google URL shortener tool. I don't know how will it help in making money, but yes it may increase clicks on URLs because sometimes visibility of long URLs is not proper which bars visitors from clicking on the links.
    Please give an example of when using a full URL is not proper ? I can't think of any.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    Richard, where are you physically located?
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm guessing The Reverend Hammer's basement.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 244672
    Please give an example of when using a full URL is not proper ? I can't think of any.
    The links sometimes break in email

Remove Ads