Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi, I have a client who would like to have an online presence, after 18 years in business. She's looking for administrative capabilities and would like to use the site as a portfolio reference, initially; however she has a bigger picture for it in the near future. She'd like to create and sell tutorials, for other landscape designers, that would teach others what it takes to be become successful in their field. So this site will eventually have registration, usernames and passwords, hence multiple ids.

1 - I'm fairly new to WordPress and Drupal development and customization. So for those of you who are well versed and experienced with both CMS platforms... which do you think is the right option for my client?
    2 - Also, what is the going rate for both... to customize a WordPress theme and to create a custom theme? I have googled both and have seen $1,495 - $3,000 to customize a 10-page WordPress theme and $3,500 - $8,000 to create a custom theme.

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Suprised no one has answered it, but actually not.

Those 2 CMS are so different that rarely are you gonna find someone with knowledge of both ( me included ), I'm ok with WP and have installed Joomla numerous times for others but found the whole thing kind of intimidating for an end user with little knowledge.

Once they have bit been setup and configured for "users" to be able to add or submit content, they are pretty much the same... They are presented with a user interface to add content / upload images, files, etc... Pretty much it.

The setup and configuration for both can be very confusing for someone who's not set one up before ( I actually did several installs on my on servers prior ever attempting to set one up for a client )...

Customizations are very PHP heavy, so if you are not very good with or have limited PHP skills it would a be stretch to even begin considering a price for one.

Since both are open source, both are vunerable to many security things that unless again, you are knowledgeable of PHP, you will have a difficult time maintaining a secure installation of any custom scripts that you may create.

Knowing what I know about WP, unless you keep your customizations to just the "theme" and "child theme" , levels, you're asking for major headaches, because everytime a security update is applied to the core installation, it will overwrite any custom PHP you may have done, and believe me, you DO want to apply any security update that is issued for WP. I suspect the same is true for Joomla.

Sounds to me like more of a custom job in a scripting language you're familiar with, would be the better approach, but that's just me.

And the pricing you quoted sounds a little screwy, since both WP AND Joomla can create hundreds if not thousands of pages ... So is the quote for the 10 page custom site for just 10 pages ? Or is it for any page created by the install ? Or is it limited to 10 pages. ?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    As was stated, there is no such thing as "pages" in WordPress or Joomla.
    I'm more experienced at WordPress. I haven't experienced any hacking
    issues, but for any script that is a possibility. Actually, the webhost you
    use probably ends-up being the cause for problems (my opinion).

Creating a custom theme is very advanced. Customizing an existing theme
    is way easier ... thus I agree that the pricing is not what you're thinking of.

You'll probably find a free theme or purchase a premium theme and then
    customize it to whatever the client wants. I'm speaking of WordPress by the way.

I do customization of WP for non-profits, so I charge very little. I do some
    customization of a theme they purchase, and then I make them enter all photos,
    content, misc. information. My job is basically to install, customize, and make
    it ready for them to use. I also make them subscribe and pay for the shared
    webhost, domain name, and all scripts that they need to purchase. When I'm
    done, I leave it for them. If they want me to make changes, or fix a problem,
    I charge them per "call". This has worked out very well for me and the clients.

At the point that I "turn over the keys", they are free to hire anyone else they
    choose if they no longer need (or want) my services. That's important to me
    because it rids me of a lot of liability issues. They become the owners of
    whatever scripting I do (whether I created it myself or not).
    AlphaMare likes this.

Remove Ads