Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello all,

I am new to this forum. I have been developing small business website for the past year. I have now coma accross a challenging problem.

I have got a website which list other businesses details such as their address, phone number, details, special offers, pictures, brochures, contact forms etc etc ...

I am looking to create a member area where all these suppliers will be able to log in to update text, change phone number, change their pictures/logo and upload their new brochures.

Please let me know hat you are using and what is the best for you...

All the best
    Didier

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Sounds to me like you're gonna need some custom scripting and a DB just for users.

A more important question would be, do you have the current data for these businesses in a DB somewhere ? Or is it static information ?

If static, you might as well plan on putting this information into a DB before you even think about allowing others to edit the data. Without a way to control access and control the structure of the data involved, you're just asking for trouble.

If the data is in a DB already, you'll need some way of creating or using a unique key field and associating that with a user account... So is the data already in a DB or is it static, that will really determine which way this conversation goes.

Member #
    Hello Webzarus,
    Everything is already in a DB. I use phpmyadmin to amend the data manually but would liketo change it so customers of the website can do that themselves and update their details without my intervention.
    I would be greatful for any pointers to achieve what I am looking for.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I'm assuming each company has its own record ? Meaning for 1 record in your DB, it contains all the information in 1 row of the DB ? Correct .

Next you're going to need a table just for users and their information:

Username ( can use an email address for this field )
    Company name
    Password
    Company ID ( this would be the same identifier number on the company DB )
    Verified ( 1 character numeric field , default to 0, change to 1 once the email address has been verified )

Once you have that in place, you'll need a "register", "verification" pages and the ability to send email to the requestor and make them click a link to verify the email account, once they have been verified, you will need to update the company ID ON THEIR profile, to allow then to see the data you're going to allow the to edit.

Personally, I would add a couple of new fields to the company table

1. Modified date
    2. Modified by
    3. Modified IP Address

Remove Ads