Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    i have a web design project that i need some advice on. here's the general breakdown:

1. the front page has a drawn background image with a character animation. character walks onto screen and climbs a tree...
    2. the next page has a drawn background image which includes a bookshelf. there are books on the shelf that are clickable links. i want to be able to switch out the book images and links easily, to update content.

the rest of the site is pretty straight forward. i'm not an experienced programmer, but have built sites in wordpress before. i would like to go through wordpress for this if it's possible. or maybe dreamweaver would be better?

any advice on the best way to go about developing this type of site (what programs to use, etc.) would be amazing. i want it to be able to work across all browsers, including mobile. (i guess older IE browsers aren't such a big deal, but maybe a flash backup for those browsers?)

thank you so much!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    The book graphics can be placed over the background image (the bookshelf) using CSS
    to position them however you wish. Do you have something online, like a test site,
    that we can see?

In my opinion, don't use Flash ... If the animated page with the character and tree is
    vital, I guess you'll have to decide how to do it. I wouldn't do the animation if it were me.

You could do the site using WordPress if you want to make it editable by non-tech people.
    But, you need to be WordPress, CSS, PHP, MySQL experienced to develop/customize the theme.

Knowing what the purpose of the site is, who the target audience is, and does it involve
    members registering, or people purchasing things? That information would be nice to know.

Member #
    thanks for your help! i don't have a test site yet. i'm just planning it out now.

for the front page animation, do you think html 5 with a flash backup would work well? doesn't flash cs6 allow for saving animation as html5? why wouldn't you do the animation? because different browsers may display it differently?

the purpose of the site is that it's an artist's (filmmaker, musician, writer) membership club. nothing for sale, except to join the subscription. it's called "the treehouse"

the animation is important to me (at this point), but more important that the site functions well. i have a really cool animation planned for the front page where the guy (the artist) walks into frame, climbs the tree, and enters the tree house. then a few other subtle things happen: a piece of fruit falls off the tree and hits a sign on the ground that says 'sign up here', then a bird flies in and rests on a branch for a moment before flying off, then a dog walks into frame and pees on the tree, then exits.

if not in wordpress, would it be easier to create this type of site in dreamweaver? i'll be updating the content myself and will be adding new music, video, e-book, and flip book magazines regularly.

thanks again for any info, i'm really green here, but want to learn to do these things myself.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I'm not a graphics person ... so I don't have an answer to the Flash VS HTML5 in regards to animation.

I guess I'm just an information type of person. Sitting through the animation you describe
    doesn't do anything for me, other than it will waste a minute or two of my time. Perhaps the target
    audience that will be visiting the site and becoming members might benefit from the animation?

Even though Flash would make the whole thing easier (except the expensive software), Flash
    is still not used by Apple is it? HTML5, which is really a lot of JQuery, AJAX, etc. would be
    the best option in my opinion ... the downside is people that have not updated their IE browsers.

This is really a tough one for me. I think that the multimedia aspect is good, and maybe the
    target audience expects to be dazzled with media. For a person that is "green" in the development
    part of this ... you're in for a tough haul. The site will be difficult to make render the same
    in all browsers, and then on small-screen and smart phone devices... seems hard to me.

Even the music part has issues ... whether it's MP3 with an embedded Flash Player, or
    HTML5, or Quicktime? And then the movie (video) portion of it ... how will that work?

This project you describe is way out of my league. Hopefully, others on this forum will
    have some more ideas. If you can find any online sites that look like what you want,
    let us know. That might give clues to what would work best.

Remove Ads