Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hey everyone, I'm a long time techie that's looking to pursue a career in web design. I'd like to end up working for a huge entertainment corp in a creative dept like Conde Nast. I was looking into Ruby on Rails and came across this Job Posting. What would someone have to do to reach this level?

I'm looking into online colleges as an option just so I can get a degree. I'm almost done with the fundamental html5\css3 courses from both codeschool and envato (nettuts). Then after that I'll work on Jquery then Ruby on rails. By the time I start school in the spring it should be a breeze and give me a chance to build a portfolio and inspire me more.

Any advice or guidance would be appreciated. Is anyone going through an Online College? I'm based out of NYC so there are many options for me but what's truly the best one?

http://ruby.jobamatic.com/a/jbb/job-details/773477

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Someone needs to give those guys an apostrophe. That post is just brutal. I legitimately have no idea why you'd want to work with a company like that, other than "it's a living". If they correspond with their customers in the same manner, you probably won't be doing very much.

As far as online colleges go, I haven't seen a good one yet and if you know what you're doing it's not necessary. People who are hiring look at what you know, not where you learned it. After all, "web design and development is a constantly evolving field" and all that. I wouldn't recommend one at all. As the ING Direct guy says, "save jah mooney."
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks! That is good advice. Maybe all I should do is keep up with what i'm doing and start a personal blog that shows all the work and progress I'm making.

in regards to the company it's conde nast, the largest publication company :x I would imagine that as a ruby dev I would earn 100$ an hour working for them. Or is that a day dream?

Honestly, I'm at a cross-roads in my life where I have accomplished a life long dream by the time i hit 32 and now I need another big challenge and am working on a plan now. I am going to finish learning html\css\jquery and make some websites for local businesses. Learn ruby on rails for fun and just see where life takes me? Ugh.... its scary not having a plan. Any advice from any angle would be very appreciated!:frantic::frantic:

Member #
    hahah those smilies are awesome. poor little guys are spinning out of control just like me lol

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    heh

I'd say that's probably very much a daydream. Look at it this way...if you made $100 an hour, they'd charge their customers about $200-$300 an hour for the stuff you did. Not likely to happen, especially right out of the gate. $45-$50/hour, maybe. Not $100. Mind you, I've never done anything with Ruby on Rails before, so you may well luck out.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    well conde nast wouldn't be doing it for customers it's for internal purposes. They own everything, even Wired magazine LOL http://www.condenast.com/

you sound right that it may very well be a daydream for me. I will contact someone at conde nast and ask them what they think. Maybe I'll get some great feedback.

Member #
    btw thanks for getting real. i love that stuff :P

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Not a problem...mostly because I don't know how to be any other way than blunt with people. I try being subtle and no one ever understands what I'm talking about.

I've never heard of Conde Nast before myself, but if they publish Wired, then yeah, they'd have to be big. Big, however, doesn't necessarily mean "good". I've been involved with large corporate web projects and they're a whole lot of stress, aggravation, and mindless doublespeak stupidity, and very little actual work being done if you're not the one doing it. I was involved in a project for a company where there was a team of 51 people involved on various levels of it. There were four of us that actually did work of any sort, although in defence of two of the 51, they were forced to leave in tears due to the stress and abuse of the environment.

The day before the project was due, my client/the project manager and I exchanged 29 different phone calls and 23 different emails. That means I corresponded with my client 52 times in a single day. 52 times. The guy my client answered to emailed us two days following the end of the project and said, "We've had a successful site launch, everyone did a terrific job, and we'll need time to decompress and think about how we can make the future better, correct the many mistakes we made, and enhance the infrastructure. So let's all meet at my condo in 24 hours." Keep in mind that he sent that email on a Saturday...do the math on 24 hours.

Member #
    That story doesn't shock me, and yeah that sounds stressfull. That says a lot actually. I would be happier doing local projects for restaurants and small businesses at 800-1250 a pop. Keep the coding simple down to html\css\jquery with some backend database skills to back things up. I'll be plenty busy being here in NY. Right now I just want to master coding with using snippet shortcuts like emmet (the new zen coding) and mastering as many basic courses as I possibly can.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I work and hire in the corporate world, I also freelance consult for several other corporate clients. The reason I consult is because the people they have in charge of their web projects either consider themselves so busy with non-web stuff, or mor to the point, they don't want to know anything.

That being said, before I came along to help them set realistic goals for their contractors and or web staff, these directors had no clue, they assumed the guys they were hiring knew stuff they didn't, were trying to hire people, demanding all kinds of skills and knowledge, and pretty much ruining these people.

I had one client, before I came along, that had went through 6 web designers in a year, but in all honesty, it was any of the designers fault, it was the idiots that copy/pasted requirements for the position, not because that's what they needed, but it was because that's what several other big companies had on their job posting. In actuality, what they needed was a developer... Not a designer.

Ruby is a tough nut, but if you can become proficient in developing with ruby, you will have lots of options.

Blogs about what you can do ? Really, don't bother ... Go find some non profits that need help, so work for them pro bono... Go to volunteermatch.org , search the virtual opportunities... Tons of options to help you build a real portfolio .... Then do that, build a real portfolio.

Certificates carry some weight with some companies, but most that I've come across, give real life experience equal or higher weight. A degree, "in something" will open more doors, but won't land you the job. If it does, its gonna be an entry level job, making less than you would expect...

If Conde Nast is posting a position for something above entry level, I suspect they have a requirement for posting the position, before promoting from within, and then filling the entry level job. I could never think a company as big as that would hire from off the street before promoting from within their ranks or their contractor pool. Just doesn't make much sense.

Just my thoughts

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads