Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I have been using Komodo to work on some basic sites that I just view on my local server for practice. Now I want to work with some of my live websites and edit their code.

Komodo can connect to an FTP account, but each file can only be opened individually- you can't create a "project" in a remote location on the server.

So what this means is that it is hard to work with all the files because I don't have a nice folder-directory-tree on the left side of the screen to easily click through to find all the files I need. Are there any free windows editors that provide this FTP functionality?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I use FileZilla (free), and then I use Notepad++ as the text editor.
    With FileZilla, you specify which editor is used when you "edit" a file.
    In my opinion, the best combination of two great free programs.

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Notepad++ has great text color coding, line numbering, showing combinations
    of tag (open close), parenthesis, brackets, etc. Makes troubleshooting easy.
    RDesignista likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I'm similar to mlseim, except that I use Visual Web Developer instead of Notepad++. I don't mind Notepad++, but VWD has kind of become a part of me in a slightly disturbing sort of way now.

Besides, I'd rather have different programs accomplish different jobs. That way, if one goes to crap in future versions (read: Allaire HomeSite after Macromediadobe bought it, stuck a spike in its hears and killed it), I don't need to find a tool to do multiple tasks.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I use Sublime Text 2 with the SFTP plugin. It's as simple as saving the file when you're done editing it. It'll save locally, and you can set SFTP to automagically FTP that junk up there.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    I use Notepad++ with the FTP plugin, *default when you install the program* - its free, quick and relatively user friendly.

We all might give you different options to try, but the only person that will know what suites their style is you, download a few of them and give them a go
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    I use a few different configurations depending on the task at hand...

a) Visual Studio 2012 with SVN and/or FTP (not so much for web design, but it's there)
    b) Notepad++ with FTP (editing and putting a single file)
    c) Notepad++ with FileZilla (editing and putting multiple files)
    d) Dreamweaver with FTP (editing, organizing, and putting an entire site)

Before I get blasted by all the anti-Dreamweaver-ers on here, I will clarify that I don't use design view (never worked worth a damn), and that my main purpose is the nice site management window it has.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I use Notepad++ and Filezilla. I tried using a built-in FTP plugin/module (whatever you call it) but i don't like it to automatically overwrite the file.

I am a "belt-and-suspenders" kind of gal - I use Filezilla, and before I upload the new file I rename the old one with the date of the upload and sometimes a description of why or what was changed, so I can go back if I need to. My own way of versioning, I guess.

This can be useful in ways I had never imagined. For example, I currently have a client who keeps changing her mind about what font she wants (seriously,we're using Google Webfonts, and we've tried about 8 so far). Some of them are narrow, some wider, and this affects the layout on the pages, so I am having to change the font size, line height, and sometimes also the weight in the CSS for each font.

I have got files called "styleArial-Dec23.css", "styleHappyMonkey-Dec28.css", "styleQuicksand-Jan2.css" etc... So when she says she wants to go back to see what "that one with the long tails on the letters" looked like, I can just switch out the stylesheets and tell her to clear her cache and reload. I think we're getting close to a decision - I hope...
    m3n0tu18 likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Remove Ads