Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Hi,

I'm dying right now, because the cache on my website is killing my productivity. When I had my website on my desktop, I would work on it locally with no problem. Now that it is up and I am using a caching device to speed up my site, I am having problems when I make repeated changes to my stylesheet.

Anyone have any ideas for this? No, ctrl+f5 isn't working really. And yes, I can use Firebug to make changes and immediately see the effect. But I just want to know what people's methods are to get around caching.

-R

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Can you disable the caching plugin while you work, and then reenable it?
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I develop on a seperate "non-live" site, especially with a clients site. Then once I get the clients approval for the changes made, I push only the files that were changed to the live site. Because caching can also be controlled ( or affected ), by a users browser settings, there not much else to do.

Meaning, depending on a users settings, they may or may not get the newest version of the file, eventually they will, but no real way to force it without forcing the "no cache" attributes on every page which would kinda defeat the purpose behind the reason of you caching.

Yes, if the site is using server side caching ( both of my personal servers have it turned on ),

Anytime I make a change to a site on there, I turn it off before updating, then force a refresh, that's just a part of the process, but again, I don't work on a clients site that is live... Just a recipe for disaster in my opinion. Seen way to many sites get taken down for way too long because a developer / designer didn't want to setup a development site for testing.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I use a similar approach to WZ, except that I never enable server-side caching on my personal server or dev environment unless I'm testing the caching itself or I'm doing something in ASP.net and the part of the page I'm caching is something I know I'm not going to change much if at all (e.g. the footer of a website).

The other thing I've done in the very distant past is to take a dynamic page, save it as static HTML on my side, and then make the changes to CSS/Javascript and watch the static HTML. Now, this is going back 7-8 years, before I had a box that was capable of acting as its own server.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    All was said above besides that you need to remember that after you disable or clean the cache on the server ide you need to delete the cache of your browser.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Yep, looks like the best idea is to do most of everything locally and then upload it after. Fortunately, I have a local copy that has the same stylesheet as the one I have uploaded, so I can easily test it locally. I'll probably use this method for future projects as well, because it gives me 0 server waiting time and gives me an instant backup.

As yes, server-side caching is a pain. But I think the reduction in load time is amaaaazing when you're using shared hosting like me. I would turn it off Ronald, but it would defeat the purpose of being able to make and preview changes quickly.

Thanks guys.

-R

Remove Ads