Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    First, let me say hi and explain that I am not very computer literate and my attempts to design our site have, at times, brought me nearly to tears.
    After tens of hours attempting the obviously impossible task of trying to design a site without using a template and hundreds using a template through our host's site designer, I had thought I had climbed Mt Everest! We really liked the end result and as we were not starting a big business, only seeking a very few customers each year (12 actually) as guests on our boat sailing in the Caribbean, we sat back and waited. Then we learned of SEO's, metatags and such and went back in attempting to improve our hits.
    A year later, with only a few hits, I was at my whit's end. Because my girlfriend's computer did not react well to an unintended bath (remember, we live on a boat), she got a new computer and when she logged on to our site it would not display the site properly! We sent emails to friends and family and low and behold, the site would be fine on some, but on others it was virtually unreadable, in different ways, on different pages.
    We have not found the display errors to be consistent on any of the three browsers; Chrome, Firefox or IE, nor does it seem to have anything to do with operating systems, even Mac.
    Please don't suggest another platform like wordpress, I really do not think I have the energy to rebuild the site from scratch, nor the computer literacy to deal with a whole new site system. Though, had I known that it would be such a painful and frustrating endeavor, I probably should have gotten professional help in the beginning, it never really made much sense to spend hundreds of dollars on a site for a measly 12 customers a year.
    Were I to use my girlfriend's computer, which is quite a bit newer than mine, to try and fix the display errors, could that solve the problem, or would it just change who saw the display poorly?
    Any suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

Member #
    Could you please post the link to your website?
    <Signature Here/>

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I suspect its the difference in browser and compatability issues between the browsers.

Don't worry, I know some seasoned designers that have trouble with getting it right for all browsers.

To accurately determine what issues you may have you need to make a list of what browser it displays in properly, ( browser & version ), and what browsers it doesn't display in ( browser & version )...

Once you know that, its just a matter of either making some tweaks or possibly making a different sytle sheet for different browsers and some simple scripting to load the proper stylesheet.

Might sound daunting, but its really not.

A link to the site in question would be helpful

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Agreed with the two previous commenters, particularly WZ. You're likely running into compatibility issues.

There is one other thing...some "display errors" aren't necessarily display errors at all but things browsers do by design (e.g. white space outside of the boundaries of a page with a fixed width).

Of course, that's all speculative until we actually see the page.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Thanks for the feedback. The site is www.skippingstonesailing.com.
    I must reiterate, I am totally computer illiterate, so please try to keep it simple.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Wow,

I'm on an iPhone so I'm actually limited in analysis ...

But the one thing that just jumped out and slapped me.

It appears as though you wrote your "copy" in MS WORD or MS Works... Then copied and pasted it into your template ( tell me if I'm wrong ).

Here's the problem, when you do that, it dumps a whole lot of extraneous formatting into your design. Especially if its word 2007 or newer, that's notorious for even adding some extra spans and formatting that will throw off things big time in everything but IE, IE can actually display most of it ( or should I say more appropriately, ignore most of it )...

Since you're using a table based design, I think this is probably where a lot of the issues are.

Until I can get to a PC and dig a little deeper, I'd suggest, open your template... Pull a copy of the content, paste it into "notepad", the delete all the text in the template ....

Either put the content directly into the template using your html editor, or you can copy/paste it back indirectly from notepad. When you do that, notepad doesn't add any of that horrendous extra code to your pages.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    The simplest fix would be to reduce the size of the large cat image. That's what's stretching the whole layout. The small cat image would suffice.

That should at least clean up your layout the way you want it, although at some point there are other aspects that if cleaned up would probably lead to you getting the dozen boat customers you want. However, your host's design tool may and likely will interfere with doing things more efficiently (it's generating a ton of bloated code that made it hard to find what would normally be fairly easy to spot.)
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I saw the image thing, but thought it might be more my phone browser than anything ... If you have an image that is pushing out the table... Then yes, resizing the image would help

Member #
    I agree with Webzarus.
    that image "
    to dream of far away places" is prolly the one giving you trouble.

Only now i saw TheGame1264 post, heh , you all over man
    <Signature Here/>

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Get used to it, dude. If there's a question to be answered, chances are one of the list below will have the answer, in no particular order:

WZ
    AlphaMare
    Wired
    m3nut018 or however his username is spelled
    Fireproofgfx
    smoseley
    delstu if it's about marketing or SEO
    Ronald Roe
    mlseim
    me

There are probably a few others that I can't think of right now, but if you want to know who they are, just look at the Likes Received. Anyone beyond about 250 should probably be on this list.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads