Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    hey guys, just wanted to get a few opinions on how windows 8 is working out for designers? is it worth the $30 to upgrade? I have a toshiba laptop with pretty good specs.. (quad core, and what not) and have it VGA'ed to a 21 inch LED monitor and I use it primarily more now then i use my macbook pro.. pro's and con's of the update please...
    Design inspiration is all around
    you just have to open your eyes.
    www.pizzolo.me
    New Jersey Website Design - Eric@Pizzolo.me

Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    I don't have Windows 8, but from what I hear you may be better staying with Windows 7 or even XP. With Windows 8 Microsoft is trying to out-Apple Apple. Good luck with that !

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    I've been using Windows 8 for the past month or so; it's not bad. If you are already using Windows 7, I would say just leave it. However, if you are using Vista or XP, than go ahead.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Yeah personally I'm sticking with Windows 7 I really like it better than any other windows version ever. I would prefer to use Ubuntu Linux but my PC since an upgrade dislikes it now And yes it is possible to use the programs in Linux and work as a designer. But until they work out any and all bugs in Windows 8 I personally would not upgrade. I always wait awhile before using a new OS version. I usually always wait until they have worked out some of the major issues.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    In my testing of windows 8 , its not bad, but here are things to consider before spending the $$$

You didn't mention how much ram your machine has... But from my experience, if you're running less than 6 gigs of ram, you're probably best to stay with what you're running. 4 gigs struggles when running office and multiple sessions of different browsers. And that's with an i7 processor.

Check your software compatability befor upgrading, most software publishers only "patch" their software, and don't do a full upgrade for at least 6 months out. And I've yet to find the "compatability" switches for 8, ( I haven't really looked too hard ), but I've not found them in the usual places.

Remove Ads