Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello!

I just took over as webmaster of a community organization's website and I need to make some changes however I would like to create a "dummy" page where I can make changes, the president can view the changes and then I can get put them on the website that is live. I am currently using Joomla 1.5. Cans someone provide me with some direction? I know how to make regular updates to the site but and Im pretty sure its as simple as adding a different ending after the "/" www.sjpr.com/(whatever the new dummy page will be) but I cant seem to figure that part out.

Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I'll tell you what I would do.

As with most Content Management Systems, the systems is installed and pretty much
    locked in place because of configuration of paths and .htaccess rewrite rules. To make
    test pages in a sub-directory is going to be messy.

I would actually subscribe to another webhost (just a cheap one) and install a mirror/clone
    of your site on there. Use that other webhost to develop and make changes. You can
    make a domain name for that 'other' site, such as sjprdev.com

I'm thinking of a host like cleverdot.com ... something that is like $30-$50 per year.
    Or maybe your current webhost would provide a separate site at a discount?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by lynetten, post: 246245
    Hello!

I just took over as webmaster of a community organization's website and I need to make some changes however I would like to create a "dummy" page where I can make changes, the president can view the changes and then I can get put them on the website that is live. I am currently using Joomla 1.5. Cans someone provide me with some direction? I know how to make regular updates to the site but and Im pretty sure its as simple as adding a different ending after the "/" www.sjpr.com/(whatever the new dummy page will be) but I cant seem to figure that part out.

Thanks!
    Melisms advice is solid, you should definately consider a second site for testing, development of any new sections, try out new themes and any custom scripting, so it won't affect the "production" site.

Perhaps your host allows "multiple" installs of joomla, that you can mirror the DB and content...

For many of my clients I setup a cName http://beta.yoursite.com , and setup the testing site on that... If your host allows, you can also set it up as a "protected" site that requires a usrname and password to view, at the very minimum, setup a robots.txt on the beta site, to dis-allow all crawlers, so at least your beta site won't get indexed by legitimate search engines...

If you have the actual folder for the beta site is a sub-folder of the main site ... Once you make changes and get then approved ... You can make a copy of the main site, then just copy over the hanged files and that should be it.

Just a thought ... Depending on host, should be easy.

Remove Ads