Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I'm building graphic div frames. The sides are thin rectangles with a gradient shading that makes them appear raised in the middle, like a half a tube. Now I'd like to connect them with corners. The corners need to look like half-tubes, or elbows, bent at 90 degrees. The problem is the lighting on the corner is tricky, as shown in the examples below.

This one is built using powerpoint vba (because that's the only scripting I know) to create segmented arcs, with each segment a slightly different color, and each arc a slightly different color range, and it nearly produces the effect. It takes 20 arcs with 20 segments per arc. I then copy it to Illustrator and save for web as transparent png. At 100% screen size, it's only six pixels across the width of the elbow color, and it matches the vertical and horizontal frame parts, sort of, as you can see in the examples below.

The problems are 1) that it's grainy on the edges (and the vertical and horizontal frames are 100 smooth), and 2) it's difficult using the vba code to get the gradient much better.

So before I invest more time in trying to improve this approach, I was hoping there might be a known way to build this type of graphic object using Illustrator or Photoshop.

Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Rounded Corner Example1 800 pct.jpgRounded Corner Example 100 pct.jpg

Remove Ads