Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a design project which followed the design style very similar to the style of this project: nerby.com/project/facebook/

My question is involved in the technical tools that Nerby used to design the modern User Interface of Facebook#? Did he used merely Photoshop from the start to the end, or did he used firstly Illustrator to draw basic shapes and produced the layout and finally photoshop to polish the detail of the layout?

My design approach is to used mainly Illustrator and then Photoshop to polish small details as required. I designed the individual graphic elements in Illustrator and then use the "Link" feature to merge these graphic pieces into one large final layout. If I have to create very subtle effect like shadow on the edge or subtle shadow of the button, I will produce these effects by using Photoshop .

How do you think about my design approach? What is your opinion about the approach that Nerby used to design his complex UI designs? I am looking forward to recommendation that would help me improve my workflow & improve my design speed.

Thanks a lot in advance

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Instead of using Illustrator and Photoshop; just use Fireworks. One program for the price of two.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Mostly likely, whatever design software s/he used, it was used only for conceptualizing and not used in the final product. I personally use InDesign. From there, the designer replicates it within HTML, CSS, and JS all by hand code.

An image program is only used for the icons and some buttons. Most of that could be done in CSS.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kralcx, post: 246704
    Instead of using Illustrator and Photoshop; just use Fireworks. One program for the price of two.
    Dude, I already tried using Firework. The drawback is that I cannot copy directly from Firework to Photoshop and vice versa. Besides, Illustrator seems to be more powerful in drawing complex shapes and lines

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayo, post: 246706
    Mostly likely, whatever design software s/he used, it was used only for conceptualizing and not used in the final product. I personally use InDesign. From there, the designer replicates it within HTML, CSS, and JS all by hand code.

An image program is only used for the icons and some buttons. Most of that could be done in CSS.
    I have heard of Indesign but primarily used it only for creating broschure comprising many pages. I assume it would be appropriate for creating wireframe with Indesign. Nevertheless there are not so many built-in effects inside Indesign i.e. the Drop Shadow effect.

For sure every web design needs to be built finally within HTML , CSS and JS. Before reaching the programming phase, the website UI need to be designed to propose to the client. My question is involved in the graphic production phase

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hung Nguzen, post: 246728
    Dude, I already tried using Firework. The drawback is that I cannot copy directly from Firework to Photoshop and vice versa. Besides, Illustrator seems to be more powerful in drawing complex shapes and lines
    Weird, I do it all the time...

worst case, save it.. then open it with the other program ( if doing multi-layer images like PNG )

I work in both and have no problems moving between programs.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Hung Nguzen, post: 246728
    You should be able to go back and forth between FW and PS without a problem; however the point of using FW is so that there is no need to use PS (unless you're doing photo manipulation...and even then you might not need it).

In other words just use FW. If you really learn the program you will find it covers almost all of your needs (as far as web design/mockups are concerned)

Member #
    I would probably be used to using the software Illustrator rather than Firework so I preferred using Illustrator. I'll give it a try switching back-and-forth between the two graphic programs FW & Photoshop... Thanks

Remove Ads