Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all,

I'm having problems making my site look right in IE. Looks great in Firefox and Chrome, but IE just destroys it.
    I have cleaned a couple of problems up by using the markup validator service, but i can't find a few of the errors and don't know what else to try.

Being pretty new to web design i haven't really looked at making my sites look good in IE before, i have been more interested in learning what I'm doing, but its definitely time i began, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Matt

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    OK - we won't be able to help much unless we can see the site. Can you please post a link to the site?
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    ah, good point, i'm a noob to forums, so sorry about that.
    I have shortened the url as i don't really want anyone searching for my domain losing confidence in me when they see me looking for help here...hope thats ok.

http://tinyurl.com/aeszqwb

As an update i am currently using the F12 funtion within IE to weed out the errors on my site, but its a long and tedious process, i'm trying to create an alternative css stylesheet to deal with the IE problems.
    Notice i say trying because as yet i haven't managed to fix any of the issues in this way.

Appreciate you taking a look.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    First, welcome to web design - IE 8 and below are a massive kick in the collective junk of all web designers.

Second, the problem is that you or the scripts you are using are using opacity:0;. IE 8 and below do not support that property...at all. There is hope, though!
    Matt` likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Thanks for Your reply Ronald.
    From what research i have done on making websites work with IE i have gathered its nothing but trouble. What a surprise being Microsoft lol

Thanks for the info on opacity, i never knew that! So does the code on that website just get entered into my stylesheet?

Thanks again

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Looks like whatever JS you're using is injecting it as an inline style.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Sorry, i meant, the code from the link you sent me. Do i put that in my style sheet and it magically fixes it?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    OK ... I'm having some trouble figuring this out ...

So you're asking simple webpage 101 questions about opacity, IE compatibility, etc.
    BUT, you're designing a website for a Web Design Company.

I don't get it.

Is it possible that the ONLY thing you're going to be really doing is SEO?
    Obviously, you won't be actually designing websites, will you?

Or is this a project for a school/class programming course?

.... :unsure:

Member #
    Yes, its a project, hence why no real content on the site. I'm teaching myself so choose a subject and just create something. This is one of several projects i have done, and like i said before i have always been more interested in creating the sites and the different elements, never really about making sure the site is compatible in different browsers.

I know its important and maybe shouldn't have chosen this project to sign up and ask professionals. Also its my first Wordpress site that i have tinkered with, so maybe that wasn't the best place to start either.

Either way, i'm already learning stuff...

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I'm OK with that.

So you'll be editing the WP .css stylesheet file in your WP theme directory.

This is your WP theme stylesheet:
    http://bluebeedesign.co.uk/bbd/wp-co...olex/style.css

And then I see you're forcing your own stylesheet a few lines later (and you're doing it twice by the way):

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="style.css" />
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen" href="style.css" />

Now, anything you've done in your own "style.css" file is overwriting everything in the Rolex theme directory. I'm not sure if you've planned that on purpose or not.

You should be editing your'Rolex' theme directory CSS file(s) by actually editing it or creating a "child" theme file. If you never plan on updating the actual "Rolex" theme, you can modify their files to your hearts desire.

Clear up this issue before you begin modifying things.

Remove Ads