Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi all, new to the forum

I am looking to build a website and I'm looking for general help as to how I should go about building it. The concept is simple and straight forward, centered around submitted content from visitors to the site. Content would be primarily text and pictures with an occasional video. The site layout would be roughly similar to www.wimp.com, where you click on the content from a list sorted by date on the homepage and it takes you to a separate page. Each page would have Google adSense ads integrated, hence why I would want as many separate pages as possible.

Real simple layout nothing fancy, with a search function and a random article button on each page. Thus far, I have bought a domain name from godaddy, and tried wordpress but its difficult to find a theme that isn't centered around a blog layout. So the real question I have for all of you is: What is the best route to go to build what I am looking for? I am not opposed to Dreamweaver, but it seems like overkill for what I am looking for, not to mention I'm not so hot about learning new software if there is a better option elsewhere. I would be open to hiring a web designer that could create the site and show me how to operate it with regards to adding pages, Facebook like buttons, etc.

Let me know what you think

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    We all have our personal opinions. If you are hiring a web designer/developer, perhaps they are the ones that should discuss that with you. I would say WordPress or Joomla. The first thing I would concentrate on is the purpose of the site. Why are you creating it? What will it offer that isn't already available? Why wouldn't I just use wimp.com instead of your site? Who will the users be?

Member #
    Allow me to clarify, I am not looking to copy wimp.com and their idea. I was saying that I like how wimp has laid their site out and the simplistic approach. What I am trying to find out is the best route to go with regards to what software to use to make a simple site layout like wimp.com. I'll take a look at joomla, what other softwares should I be looking at?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Joomla or WordPress.
    Something tells me that Joomla would be more with what you're trying to do.

Remove Ads