Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi everyone

I am looking for advice on knocking up a quick website for my kids that asks them initially to log on, then uses those login details to change the lead charactor in any story they choose from the list provided.

I would be very grateful for any constructive thoughts on the best way to accomplish this goal.

Kindest regards
    R

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rayrichard, post: 247552
    Hi everyone

I am looking for advice on knocking up a quick website for my kids that asks them initially to log on, then uses those login details to change the lead charactor in any story they choose from the list provided.

I would be very grateful for any constructive thoughts on the best way to accomplish this goal.

Kindest regards
    R
    In no way will this be "quick". This would require you to use css, html, PHP, and mysql. You want this site to do a specific function (change the lead character in a story they choose from a list) so I don't think WordPress will be an option.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    That's a shame, I was hoping there would be a simple solution as it is only for the kids, not a client, so I was hoping someone would be able to suggest a very basic solution, but I guess it is more complex than I had initially though.

Thanks anyway

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by rayrichard, post: 247562
    That's a shame, I was hoping there would be a simple solution as it is only for the kids, not a client, so I was hoping someone would be able to suggest a very basic solution, but I guess it is more complex than I had initially though.

Thanks anyway
    You can always hire someone to do it for you.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    That's very true but I can do it myself, I was just hoping by consesus that I could find the best way to approach this problem, after all more heads are better than one

Seriously I thought there may be some smart person out there who has done this before, and can advise on the best way forward.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I guess you first need to have your stories stored in a database or some kind of file. Do you have all of your stories in a text file format? A format that can be read by PHP, like a .txt file or an XML file of some kind?

Then you have to have those stories written so that the lead character names are a code of some kind, and also the gender references (him, her, his, hers, etc.). PHP will replace all of the coded variables to the names of your choice ... it also has to know if it's male or female.

That's the hardest part of your project. Do you have something like that already done?

EDIT:
    Example, everywhere the name should appear you have this: [name]

Remove Ads