Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am planning to make a web interface which would show whether a person is busy or not. A very basic example of the visualization would be traffic lights(Green-when free, Red -when busy). I am a student and it is for my department. We have a big display in the common area and if the design is cool it would be displayed there every time. It should be fun so that people don't get bored seeing the same thing all the time. There are around 20 people on the floor.
    I searched for some cool visualization apis such as goolge charts or google gauge but was not able to get anything which would be fun. Can you please suggest any cool idea which would suit the purpose. It would be nice if there is an existing javascript library that does some cool visualization. If the api doesnt exist then maybe i can make it using photoshop and then adapt it in code.

Please help me out here.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    If I had the opportunity to create something for a "public space", or a "common area", I would not use a monitor or screen, I would create something physical, 3-dimensional ... interactive art.

There are some fairly inexpensive ways to connect any browser to a WiFi device like the Electric Imp: http://electricimp.com/

That device with some other electronic parts, plus the physical electrical and mechanical parts (motors, switches, lights, wood, metal, plastic, etc). You have a way to control physical things using WiFi / internet.

Maybe a moving sculpture (motors), or strings of LED ropes, and buttons and sensors would allow people to interact with it. You are busy? How about if they can touch something to let you know they want to meet with you. You could have a few Imps operating in the same space. Anyone with an iPhone, tablet, smartphone, iPad, laptop, any WiFi device that has a browser can visit a web page you make and control things in the sculpture ... in addition to switches and sensors. People not even in the "common area" might be able to affect the sculpture. Or, maybe the person viewing your web page needs to answer specific questions in order to move something?

The Imp and the breakout board is about $45 w/shipping. Then you need someone with electronic experience and some electronic hardware to connect to motors, lights, solenoids, valves, whatever.
    https://www.sparkfun.com/search/resu...&what=products

I think a social interactive electronic art project would be great fun.
    Ronni likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    39 times
    Though not necessarily only for charts, RaphaŽl is a good library to make visualizations. Much more powerful and definitely possible for build charts from scratch.
    mlseim likes this.

Member #
    @[SIZE=11px]mlseim[/SIZE] - like your idea but i am only looking for some software visualization ideas. any idea of how to show the busyness is fine... but including the hardware aspect as well is a lil too much for me now

@Kayo - Raphael is a gud one. but actually i am lookin for a creative solution to show what i want. then maybe i can search for JS libs which could do that.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    How large is the "visualization" screen or monitor ... whatever it is.

Member #
    it is a big LCD monitor... maybe 52 inches

Remove Ads