Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I'm after something that's cheap but can load websites and blogs pretty quickly. Anyone have any recommendations? Cheers
    Nathan Wilkins Web Design - www.nathanwilkins.com
    "I create Simple and Stylish Websites"
    'Like' facebook.com/NathanWilkinsWebDesign

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    We all have our own experiences (good and bad). I've used cleverdot.com in the past because they are really cheap. I've never had a bad experience with them. I know others use 1&1, and of course GoDaddy and etc. Since you are in the U.K., it may be beneficial to find a host in your country.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Try 000webhost. Works fine for me so far.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    depends on the platform ( blog ), that you're planning on using.

Some are better than others, and yes, if your target market for your blog is in the UK, then you should definitely find a host in the Region that host it.

If you're planning on using a HOSTING installed solution, visit the vendor site to determine if they have a preferred HOST in your region. I know Wordpress and Several others maintain a list of HOST that offer the one-click install options on their hosting platforms for their particular blogging platform.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Cheers everyone. I'll have a look through all available options So which ones should I steer clear of then? I'm sure many have had bad experiences with some hosting providers :S
    Nathan Wilkins Web Design - www.nathanwilkins.com
    "I create Simple and Stylish Websites"
    'Like' facebook.com/NathanWilkinsWebDesign

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I run and have my own servers for most of my stuff, I do have a reseller account and one hosting account that I have multiple websites on for my turn-key clients.

Haven't used any other hosting options in about 5-6 years, but I would be wary of any bad reviews as many are not justified. One provider I used years ago, got a lot of negative stuff over thing they didn't have control over, or support. Seriously, you have to look at negative reviews with a grain of salt.

And as I've stated numerous times on these forums, I've yet to see a "hosting review" site that was t slanted or only post certain reviews to support THEIR views. I know of 2 in particular that I personally posted to, my reviews were deleted, because they didn't go with the flow of the other post. ( and I suspected that when I made my post )...

If you're looking for "recommended" host, the blog platform provider will be your best bet, as they are pretty particular with who they allow on their list.

H4L
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi Nathan

If you are doing a fair bit of design, for more and more customers, I would recommend that you find a hosting company where you can get some kind of personal relationship going. We all work better with people we know and like, rather than with big, faceless companies where you're xth in the queue all the time, and getting someone different every time you make contact. Additionally you can often get help above and beyond the call in a personal relationship. Plus your work is more fun that way.

As Webzarus has mentioned above, many reviews are unfairly slanted or even just the result of misunderstandings as to the respective roles, and other problems can result from your host's upline providers too, instead of being their fault. Any good hosting company worth their salt will provide a solid, stable platform for you. The rest of it comes down to how you feel about working with them... are they responsive to you? do they give a toss about what you're interested in or do you feel like you're being processed all of the time? do they give you one person who knows your name and history so you don't need to repeat yourself incessantly when dealing with them? are they available when you need them?

These things are tricky to find out when you're just enquiring admittedly, but perhaps look at a few of us hosting companies in the forums here, communicate a bit and see how you feel?

Cheers
    H4L

Remove Ads