Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi everybody,

while i'm still working on my wordpress-commercial-site, a friend gave me advice to use amazon's aws for better speed and reliability....and it's free for one year. Although this whole aws-thing certainly is beyond me, i've come quite far (i think), now i'm stuck...and hope to find help here again.

What i want: have my entire wordpress-site hosted on amazon-servers
    What i did:
    -created an AWS account, created 'buckets' and uploaded files, realized i can't run PHP there and there's no MySQL
    - created an EC2 instance, running bitnami-wordpress-AMI

Now, when entering that ec2-xxx-xxx-xxx-.compute-1.amazonaws.com -adress,

i can see/access the dashboard and the 'new' blog is working.

BUT:
    - how can i link that ec2-adress to my "bucket"-adress (http://bucketname.s3.amazonaws.com) ?
    - how can i access the wordpress-folder of that ec2-instance (if at all) to upload files etc. ?

I've googled all this up and down, but there's no concrete description of how to do it..or they stop in the middle of the road :skull:
    And i don't want to use a WP-plugin to just have the files on amazonS3, but move from my current webhost (probationary period expires in a few days, to make it worse) to amazon.
    Is it maybe impossible to use S3 like a normal webhost ? I'd be very very glad about some enlightenment :cold:
    (oh, guess this post should be moved to 'hosting'...?)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    So how come this friend doesn't know how to do this or even if it can be done, if he's saying better speed and reliability. Sounds to me like .... Never mind.

To my knowledge, can't be done, but I've only played with it myself. Not seen or heard anything about being able to actually run everything from there. S3 is and was intended as a "storage" system ( from what I understand ), but as with most NEW things, free sometimes comes with a price.

Member #
    So how come this friend doesn't know how to do this or even if it can be done, if he's saying better speed and reliability. Sounds to me like .... Never mind.
    well, i don't expect everybody who is giving advice or an idea to have profound background knowledge (just like you say "to your knowledge"), otherwise human conversations would be really rare . Actually the friend, a software developer, told about his colleague who's running his projects on AWS.
    Anyway, i'll give it up for now...running a blog on amazon aws seems like cracking a nut with a sledge hammer (or rather, cracking that hammer with a nut)...spent 3 days trying to understand, now I'd have to learn how to operate a linux server...nah :/

Remove Ads