Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello,
    Guys what do you think about asking website owners to post a message for visitors with old browsers to switch to new one. This can drastically reduce the number of people that still use old browsers. Check this out: http://www.beaconwatch.com/post.php?id=18
    and let me know what you think

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I think its up to the designer to accommodate the user. Its your problem, not theirs.

Sure, it'd make our lives easier, but it it's our job to make their lives easier, not the other way around.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Personally, i hate when sites ask me to start using a new app.
    I am all for having a message somewhere, not to prominent, saying that the website is better viewed with x or y.
    <Signature Here/>

Member #
    I understand what you mean but think about it like this. It is just going to be for one day every year and that's it. And yeah I also think it should be a small message. This can really help create awareness.

Also Ronald, why do you think this will only make our lives easier? Will it not also provide a better experience to internet users? There is really a lot that is not supported by older browsers, especially IE and also they are missing out on many new technologies that designers avoid using entirely because they know that using them will create bad experience for old browser users.

I am only not talking about design bugs that designers have to fix but technologies like HTML5, CSS3, Web Sockets and Web storage. There is really a lot that we can use but don't because of the number of people that do not have the latest browsers.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyman, post: 248333
    Will it not also provide a better experience to internet users?
    In our minds, yes. In theirs? They probably don't care. If they go to your site, and the design is broken, they aren't going to think, "I really need to upgrade my browser". They'll more likely think, "This site is crap".

Don't get me wrong. I do think people should upgrade to modern browsers. However, shoving it in their face will drive them away as much as broken designs will.

A little food for thought, though: IE6/7 have a combined worldwide market share of less than 1%.IE8 is pretty low itself, around 6%, and IE as a whole is only 14%. Now, go check your analytics. See what the numbers are for the site you're actually working. My personal site is about 4% overall, mostly from IE9, which supports HTML5 and much of CSS3. A carefully coded site will look pretty good in IE9, and will only be about 2% of the 1000-ish visitors anyway.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    If anyone is adept at computers, they will already be using the latest browser, and most likely have a couple of different browsers. I sometimes have 3 totally different browsers running at the same time.

If a user that has an old browser sees your message, they most likely won't know what you're talking about. That's the reason they have old browsers. They don't know how to upgrade or use a different browser. This really comes into play with HTML5.

But yea ... go ahead and tell them to upgrade their browser. It's your website not ours. We can all give answers, but are any of us correct? Take on your mission to educate your users, and let us know how it goes.
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    This discussion raises its head a couple times a year and I have been answering the same way for 10 years or more.

It all depends on the particular sites target market as to how to code or design a site.

3 years ago, with less than 1% of traffic associated to the mobile browser markets, most of my clients didn't want to spend time or money on a mobile friendly web site. Now they are all pretty much knocking my doors down.

A site about technology is not going to need to be coded to IE6 standards, sure, occasionally someone will stumble onto the site, but that's when I make it degrade nicely so they can still navigate and see the content. But the bulk of the target market is probably going to be running a newer browser.

If your site is about home improvement projects, then the site should cover and handle any browser that they are going to get a sizeable amount of traffic on. How do you know what browsers are acting your site ? Log files...

I remember the days of sites running banners saying "best viewed with XXXXX browser"... I thought it was silly then, still think its pretty presumptuous of a designer to think so much of host stuff, that he expect users will want to take the time to upgrade their browser or actually to find and download a completey different browser.

I'm with RR, in as much as I see it as our job, to provide them the best browsing experience possible with whatever browser they have chosen to use.

Again, though, it all depends on the target market of the sites visitors.

Right now I manage a site that still gets > 10% traffic from IE7 or lower browsers, because its a global business that gets traffic from all over the world. Many areas of the world, the bulk of their Internet users are using old technology ( because that's all they have available )... If you're trying to do business in Malaysia, outer reaching areas of Nepal or even some areas or India, they are still running windows2000 with IE6. I actually saw some visitors in last months logs running windows millennium and windows NT.

I have other client sites that get 90% traffic from Firefox, opera, chrome and less than 5% total from all versions of IE, and absolutely zero traffic from IE6 browsers.

Not to insult anyone, but when I see "upgrade your browser for a better experience", unless it's a site that its a "security related issue", I just think they are lazy or un-informed. Designers should never assume they know better than the visitors of the site.

I know of a couple pretty popular sites that went down the tubes, when their designers quit accounting for older browsers, had they looked at their log files, they would have known that over 30% of their visitors fell into that category. It was a paid subscription site to business information. When people couldn't get what they paid for, they cancelled their subscriptions and moved on to that companies competitors.

I never tell a visitor they need to upgrade or even install something to view the site.

In my experience, you kill about 80% of new visitors that way. I consider the grandma test still valid today as it was 10 years ago. If your grandma get her first computer and after a few hours of teaching her how to use it. If she can come to your site and find what she's looking for, you've done your job.

You think grandma is gonna know what upgrade or install means ?

Remove Ads