Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    So I've seen plenty of guides out there on the web about transferring a Wordpress site to a new host but NONE of them offer a complete explanation. I am planning on making a real guide that actually fills in all the gaps once I get this all figured out. I am trying to transfer my site http://colonirritable.net to HostGator from SEOHost. Right now the site just says "Error establishing a database connection".

Here is what I have done:

1. Made addon domain "colonirritable.net" in HostGator, installed Wordpress 3.5.

2. Replaced entire "wp-content" directory with my old "wp-content" directory from SEOHost.

THE KEY PLACES WHERE I PROBABLY MADE A MISTAKE:

3. In "PHP MyAdmin"- selected Databases> Selected the new Hostgator Database> Selected "Import"> Imported old database from SEOHost(after editing username to match the current one)

Now the database is "there" in PHP MyAdmin but it is not being connected to.

I also replaced the wp-config.php file and changed the DB_USER to the database I want- but the password I left the same as the database in SEOHost because I don't know if it has changed when I imported it or what.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    I use a plugin called duplicator. You run it on the old site, upload the files it creates to the new one, create a database and run the installer. It works pretty well for me.
    Sean Thompson likes this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    You also need to modify the .htaccess file (it could be hidden on some webhosts).
    That file does URL rewrite rules to affect the whole site.

Member #
    Duplicator looks awesome but I tried using it and it tells me that "safe mode is on" so it can't create a package for me. So I contacted my host and had them turn it off and it still says "safe mode is on".

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Thompson, post: 248381
    Duplicator looks awesome but I tried using it and it tells me that "safe mode is on" so it can't create a package for me. So I contacted my host and had them turn it off and it still says "safe mode is on".
    Idk, I've never had that happen. I googled it, and all I can seem to find is that it needs to be off, which you already know.
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim, post: 248376
    You also need to modify the .htaccess file (it could be hidden on some webhosts).
    That file does URL rewrite rules to affect the whole site.
    I haven't had to mess with it. Possibly because part of the install process is re-saving your permalink settings. htaccess isn't really my thing, so I wouldn't know.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Here's what I would do ....

1) On your new website, install wordpress as though you were doing it for the first time.
    You'll have the default wordpress site with the ugly theme and no posts except the "Welcome, this is your first post".

2) Copy your old wordpress theme directory to your PC (the one you're using) and upload it on the new site.

3) Go into admin and select that as your theme.

4) Go back to your old site and do a complete MySQL backup/export to file. It will back it all up into a file.

5) Go back to your new site and import that backed up file to your new MySQL.

6) The only part I'm not sure of is the "media library".
    You might have to Google that to get better instructions.

The key is step 1. It will install all wordpress correctly and will be totally working without errors.
    It just won't have the old theme and posts until you move those over.
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    I just want to add to MSLEIM's advice: for MEDIA LIBRARY, you should be able to just overwrite the wp-content/uploads folder. All your files that you upload via WP uploader will be in there.

Also, if you get a blank screen when migrating to another domain, you may have an issue with serialized data. Serialized data is not native to Wordpress, but some themes I've come across use it to store option data in the database. Use the plugin "WP Migrate DB" to help migrate your SQL file properly.

Lastly, you should check your wp-config.php if you're moving files. You need to change the server location, db user, db pw in there. An automatic install of Wordpress will fill these details out for you, but I think it's worth a check to see if all details are correct. The user name you fill out is sometimes your host user login, or it might be your FTP user login.. or something else. You should check the Wordpress FAQs for your host specifically.

Note: This is good advice from me! I've spent so many hours in the past year dealing with database connection errors. There are so many guides out there, but I can't say a single one provided all the info I needed. Migrating a Wordpress site is actually quite easy after you've done enough of them.

Banned
    Member #
    For the first task of exporting the data, I use phpmysql admin addionally, export the data and read it in a text file, do a file and replace for all instances of your table name to the new tablename. This will save you a headache.

Remove Ads