Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    This is my first post in the community, I'm sorry if its in the wrong spot!

I have a client whose previous web designer did them wrong. The designer collected the first payment, posted some stuff that looks like it came from a template, and now they havent been able to get in touch with him for a couple of months.

My main question is this... my client already has a domain registered, and they obviously have the site hosted, but without getting in touch with the previous designer... does anybody know any way to get ftp login information? I've done some searching to see who is hosting the site, but its not giving me much info.

I appreciate all the help, and I look forward to contributing to the forums!

Thanks!

Member #
    Perfect.. I seen that their domain was through GoDaddy.. I'll pass this along to them.. Thank for the help!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Registering a domain name and hosting is 2 completely separate things.

Yes, if the domain and hosting are under the same account, whomever is on records as administrative contact, or technical contact can communicate a change request to the provider and get things reset.

If the hosting and registration is at different places, not so easy. And if the owner is no where on the domain registration record, then they may be out of luck.

Many time scammers tell the user ( typically someone who know little or nothing about the process ), registers everything in THEIR name, collects a payment, moves on.

In this case, not a whole lot a user can do. Domain registrars try to work with people in these cases, but most of the time, if the users name is no where on the domain record, their hands are legally.

If the user has an account where they actually registered the domain, they can go into their control panel, ( if hosting is on the same account ), and just reset the FTP credentials. I'd suggest changing the master account password as well.

Member #
    @-chino,

I'm with Go Daddy and came across your post.

Was your client able to get their hosting login information?

If you have any additional questions or concerns please feel free to reply or send me a private message.

Remove Ads