Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Single Signon

Member #
    First let me be clear, I AM AN AMATUER Web designer. Now here is my situation;
    I am building a multi-application install website. I use wordpress as the main site, Oxwall for my social community, Opencart for my store, etc. The downfall of this from a visitors perspective is the need to sign in multiple times (once for each application).
    So what I want to accomplish is a single sign-on interface. If visitors sign in on one section of my site, they will automatically be logged in on all parts. So does anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish this? There are a ton of sites online doing this type of thing, so obviously it is possible. But HOW?

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    On any of the sign-in forms... Just create a simple set a session variable for each one... Then modify your security script ( that checks to see if a user is logged in) to include looking at the session variables.

This can and does work as long as the usernames and passwords are all on the same domain... If you have he different applications on different domains ... It will be tougher, and if on different servers, almost impossible. If just different sub-domains... Completely doable. But you have to know PHP and find each of the login checks... To modify the script to look for the session variable that you set.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Wolf, this is advanced stuff. You've also seen the sites where you can log-in with a FaceBook login ... again, it's very advanced programming. It would be very difficult for us to describe it here as it pertains to your scripts. You may want to hire someone to get you going.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    As he said, there is some advanced knowledge of scripting involved to accomplish.

If the sites are on different domains ... I don't think its possible without SSL, which is a whole different creature, and if one is SSL, they all have to be to even attempt it. ( you can't check a certificates validity from a non-SSL site ) and all the certs must have a shared trust. Some pretty high end security stuff on the server side will have to be done and will have to be a standalone server with static IP ( no shared hosting at this level ).

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 248909
    On any of the sign-in forms... Just create a simple set a session variable for each one... Then modify your security script ( that checks to see if a user is logged in) to include looking at the session variables.

This can and does work as long as the usernames and passwords are all on the same domain... If you have he different applications on different domains ... It will be tougher, and if on different servers, almost impossible. If just different sub-domains... Completely doable. But you have to know PHP and find each of the login checks... To modify the script to look for the session variable that you set.
    Each script is on the same domain, just in it's own sub-directory (i.e. linuxpcplus.com, linuxpcplus.com/community, etc). I know PHP pretty well in fact. I guess I should say I am not a complete amatuer, I am a 2nd semester web development student, & have designed a few other websites (primarily Wordpress, Opencart, & Joomla) in the past. So I do have a pretty good idea what you are talking about here. I think you have pointed me in the right direction & I should be able to get it figured out from there.
    And I do not have the ssl yet, but plan to in the next month or 2.
    Thank you Webzarus!

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim, post: 248911
    Wolf, this is advanced stuff. You've also seen the sites where you can log-in with a FaceBook login ... again, it's very advanced programming. It would be very difficult for us to describe it here as it pertains to your scripts. You may want to hire someone to get you going.
    Well I actually have the social network login figured out. Scripts like Wordpress & Oxwall make that part pretty easy. My only goal here is to let folks login with their username & password directly. Like I said, I think you & Webzarus have pointed me in the right direction. I am skilled in PHP as well as HTML5. So yea, it is advanced, but I think with a little help and advice such as I have gotten so far, I can figure it out.
    The good thing is that this is my own site & I have about 3 years to complete it (my goal is just to finish it by time I graduate). So I don't have a near-future deadline. This project serves for both educational purposes as well as (upon completion) my official business website.

Member #
    Just wanted to provide an update:
    After some searching I found a wordpress plugin that can be used to provide the single signon capability. It appears that it can be tweaked to work with virtually any script (if you have a little programming knowledge). So while I still need to play with it a little to be sure, I THINK it may work for my needs. Anyway, in case anyone is interested, here is a link to the wp plugin page & one to the plugins website itself.
    http://wordpress.org/support/plugin/vbsso
    http://vbsso.com/

Remove Ads