Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hello, sorry i didn't go through introduction phase and go straight at posting my question, because i think i would just bore you to death with my introduction, because i'm nothing in webdesign world - just mere newbie trying to get better at this sphere of activity

Anyways as for the question - I'm preparing a design for a car washing company and i sincerely got stuck on how the hell i would lay out particular elements in a container shape.

Consider my example:

http://postimage.org/image/j6woni7mf/

My idea would be to represent company's 3 main features in an image/text mixture of a format, but whatever images, text i apply - container feels empty and boring, perhaps images should be bigger or perhaps container BG missing a texture or maybe this header is making me nervous.

What would be the best practices of laying that particular site out and where i could read more about that?

Thank you very much!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Welcome,

So you've asked what should you do...

Here's the kicker with a question like that... Sure we have opinions, but they really don't matter. What matters is the client and how they like the design.

As for guidance, just remember, a homepage should give the visitor enough information about business and what they do, so as there is no question who's site it is and what its about.

The 3 main sections is a great idea ( not used nearly enough ), and will lead visitors and potential clients in the proper direction.

How you do that is all subjective and opinionated.

If you personally don't like the font, that may not matter . The picture I saw had 3 image spaces with only 1 that had an image. If you want opinions on colors, font, spacing that's fine, but you gotta give us something to look at. Anything less than a finished mockup, and were gonna be guessing.

Fonts and spacing and even color selection are about as subjective as you can get, there are some general rules that most graphics people follow.

In the old days of print media, one rule I remember being told over and over again ... If your target market is primarily males... Used big bold block letters, female, use softer flowing letters.

Don't know if that translates out to web ( never seen it mentioned ), never use more than 3 different fonts ( preferably use only 1 ), but never more than 3. Don't blend our font colors ( light blue text on dark blue background or vice versa ) or similar scenarios... If you can't contrast it, compliment it.

I suggest you do a full mockup with fonts and spacing... Then do a ratings and review posting... You'll be sure to get some opinions there.

Member #
    Thanks for your reply! I understand it feels so abstract to look at an unfinished sketch instead of near-finished or finished product and i will try to get judgement whenever i'll finish it. thanx for bringing that idea into my head

Btw maybe you know any good sites to read about f.e. what are the best practices (not mandatory ofc), but where it lists some general all-in-one rules every begginner should know?

Remove Ads