Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Who is Who

Member #
    I have three websites that somebody created for me
    When the renewals come I get confused and have a few questions

Registrar of Record: Domain.com

Registration Service Provider:
    Dotster.com, support@dotster-inc.com

Web Hosting Company is HostBaby

What is the difference between the first two above items
    I got a renewal from Domain.com and I renewed it.
    My page is down and I was told by my web hosting co. that my Doster domain expired

I thought you just needed a Domain registration and a web hosting co.

Thanks

jimi

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    There are two things.

1) Your domain name.
    This can be registered through any approved DNS registrar. In your case, you used Dotster. When you pay for a registration, you select the number of years to register. That domain name can then be pointed to any website. In some cases, a person might register a domain name and do nothing with it. That is called "parking" a domain.

2) Your website (shared webhost) account.
    This is where your actual website files reside. In your case you use HostBaby. You pay for a subscription for a select number of years. Once your site is ready, you tell your webhost what your domain name is and they give you a couple of DNS server names to write down. You make note of them and then go to your domain name host and enter those DNS server names. That is what makes the connection between your domain name and your website. Most webhosts call these 'primary' and 'secondary' servers.

These two things are separate accounts, and you may or may not have them expire at the same time. In many cases, a person chooses to use one company to host BOTH the domain name AND the webhost account. Some of those companies offer a discount to allow them to host both.

In your case, you used two different companies (domain host and web host). The number of years that your accounts were paid are different, so you have to renew them separately. Both accounts have a grace period of some kind so forgetting to renew results in a temporary "not available" message and probably a flurry of emails letting you know things have expired.

You can check anyone's "whois" domain status by going to a site like this:
    http://www.domainregister.com/

Enter your domain name and it will say that the domain is "already used". Click on 'SHOW ME WHOIS" and you'll see information about it, including when it expires. You'll also see those two DNS server names that I mentioned earlier (given by your webhost).

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    If your domain name was put into the pool of ( expired but active ), it probably also reverted your DNS pointers to the registrars defaults.

If that happens, your site will not work.

Some domain registrars will put your nameserver records back in place once the renewal has been approved, but even then, it can take from several hours to a couple of days for those changes to make it back out to the rest of the world.

Most registrars have a feature to "auto renew", but they can only do that if the cc you have on file is active. As we all know, most banks only issue CC's now for a 2-3 year period so you have to make sure your cc information is current and correct with the registrar.

I always encourage my clients to register their domain names for the maximum allowed time period (10 years ), so then you only have to keep up with hosting during that period.

Most registrars offer a discount for longer registrations so for most common domain names a $100 investment ( maybe a little more now )... You have one less thing to keep up with.

I do this for clients as a service. I make sure their domain, hosting and email are taken care of, send them an invoice once a year. They have 30 days to pay the invoice, if not. Stuff quits working.

Remove Ads