Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: Will you benefit for this?

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

0 0%
    Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Well, i'm officially sick and tired of having to click on like 10 different icons on my desktop for my daily web designing so I was thinking of making a program to do it for me.

So basically I want to make a program in VisualBasic that will have the most commonly used applications launcher like xampp, filezilla, dreamweaver, notpad++, etc. It will also have the capability to store all the information you used daily like ftp login info(stored on the pc in a file not on an outside server) as well as other things. The application launcher part will be specified with a user selected path to the program.

So after first setup all the person will have to do is open this app and click on all the apps they want to run for that session of design/development etc.

I'm just bored and looking for something to do lol.

If I do create this app, will anyone on this forum benefit from it?

EDIT: Sorry if wrong section. Didn't know if I should put it in General or Programming.
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I just have a single folder on my desktop that contains all of the "10 different icons" within it. I click on that folder to open it ... pretty much the same number as clicks that would be needed to run your .exe file. My answer is no, I would not benefit from it.

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Ok, thanks. I guess I'll have to think of another project :unsure:

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    WebMatrix pretty much does all of that. It even has a SASS plugin (though it currently doesn't handle Compass). Sublime Text 2 can be made to do all that with plugins. Neither require you to do anything more than just open them.

Make it more seamless, and you might be on to something.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe, post: 248988
    WebMatrix pretty much does all of that. It even has a SASS plugin (though it currently doesn't handle Compass). Sublime Text 2 can be made to do all that with plugins. Neither require you to do anything more than just open them.

Make it more seamless, and you might be on to something.
    I think I might go through with it after all. I will add as many features as I can and see where this goes. Wont hurt to try anyway.

-Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I have a 3 monitor setup, keep DW open on the center, 2 graphics progras running on the left , all my browsers to the right... They all stay up and running all the time... I don't use this machine for anything but design and development... I have a laptop and netbook for casual browsing and email. At the end of the day, I have a hot key to kill the network connection so its not "always on".

I had a python program years ago that did basically the same thing as you're talking about, but I rarely used it, only after a reboot do I need to start my programs... And if I just click and drag a box around all the icons and hit enter... They all open in their correct places ( last location it was running ).

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Mixture.io does something similar to this, also. Plus it does versioning and git push. Only negative is it forces you to use a liquid-based templating engine for a compiled static deal, kinda like Jekyll.

I think if you can take the good from each, and scrap out the bad, you'd do pretty damn well. Here's what I'd like to see, personally:

- Cross-platform, at least Win & Mac
    - Use my own choice of text editor
    - Built-in server that I don't have to mess around with, which is what I love about WebMatrix
    - Automatic SASS/Compass compiling
    - Git and SFTP push
    - Optional compiling of liquid templates for static HTML sites (maybe even just fire up Jekyll for you)
    - Live reload/code injection of browsers, at the very least Chrome
    That's all I can think of right now, but it's a start.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe, post: 249043
    Mixture.io does something similar to this, also. Plus it does versioning and git push. Only negative is it forces you to use a liquid-based templating engine for a compiled static deal, kinda like Jekyll.

I think if you can take the good from each, and scrap out the bad, you'd do pretty damn well. Here's what I'd like to see, personally:

- Cross-platform, at least Win & Mac
    - Use my own choice of text editor
    - Built-in server that I don't have to mess around with, which is what I love about WebMatrix
    - Automatic SASS/Compass compiling
    - Git and SFTP push
    - Optional compiling of liquid templates for static HTML sites (maybe even just fire up Jekyll for you)
    - Live reload/code injection of browsers, at the very least Chrome
    That's all I can think of right now, but it's a start.
    Perfect list. Can't wait to get started. First, I'll need to do a little research and il go from there.
    Thanks

-Steve Jobs

Remove Ads