Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Sounds like you're all getting underpaid there. But the company may not be doing well enough to pay you what you're worth. Don't let your employer's ineptitude in business prevent you from getting what you're worth. Go find another job.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Well, that was in 1990 and I was hired as an operator.' After 8 years as an operator and seeing that I didn't want to be doing that same job 5-10 years later. I created some web pages, presented them to the business leadership team as a way for all the business sections to have access to the same information.

They liked it so much, I was moved into the IT department, a year or two later there was a directive from corporation to "digitize" communications system, so I was pretty much locked in.

Over the years, I've been asked or worked my way into managing multiple systems including network security and network management. Sure, I could go other places and make more money, but doing some research about 3 years ago, I'm one of the highest paid network admins for the area, including those that require degrees. Almost double what some companies at paying.

3 years ago, I made more in my free time doing consulting and web design/development work... So really I have no desire to leave where I am... And since I bought a house 4 blocks from the beach, not really in a hurry to leave the area.

My goal is to get where I'm making double my day job, before leaving it, until then, my investment and retirement accounts are way ahead of schedule.

From the OP's post in the past, he's indicated that he may be in a "low tech" area... Kinda like me... Tech doesn't draw the highest pay scales where there's not a big talent pool to choose from.

He'd probably have to relocate to get started on the right path.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    I would say learn what you can (is he teaching you anything or are you learning yourself?) and then shop around, while still employed. Try to see how much you can get paid, given your skills, and then ask your employer to match.

Brian Tracy, the self-help guru, said that if you sit down with your boss, tell him what the market rate is for a person of your skill level, and convince your boss that hiring someone new and then training them would be a pain in the butt, that will help him make the business decision. Don't just ask "can I get a raise, bro?" but rather, do your research, and prove your case to him.

By the way, DBA is a great title to put on your biz card or resume, but I have to agree with Webzarus in that the depth of your DB work is not DBA yet.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks for all the reply's! My plan for right now is to learn as much as i can, and just keep an eye out for other jobs in the area. I have been teaching my self almost everything i know, except for a few things my ex-coworker has helped me out with. If i keep getting more tasks put on to me i will ask for a raise.

I was talking to my ex-coworker and i decided to take some classes to better my skills as a Developer and learn more about Databases etc.
    "ON TIME, ON TARGET, NEVER QUIT"

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    Didn't realize you were new to development. Your initial post made it sound like you were an experienced developer ("DBA" implies expert database knowledge).

Sounds like you've got a good plan in the works. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Remove Ads