Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Okay, well currently i am working at a online timeshare company handling a wide number of different tasks. I have worked here for almost a year and as most of you know i have had some problems, but stuck it out since i have not been able to find a new job just yet. Just recently they have gave me a new job task to add to my work task. I am now there DBA. I handle there database data. Below is what all i do at this company!

1. Keep Full vehicle inventory of a Used Car Dealership, maintain used car website accounts, Maintain Car Dealership Website.

2. Run a Phone Dialer.

3. Write querys to do counts, pulls, clean, manage data in a SQL database. Anything they need from the database i am there man to do it. For them adding this to my job task they only gave me a $1 Raise!!!!

4. add listings, and MyPhpAdmin work, to make corrections to any listing on the websites!

5. Plus any little things my boss needs done!

I am not complaning about my job or pay. However i believe i am being under paid and well the matter of the fact is i am getting paid only $14/hr and that is not enough to cover cost of living.

So with all being said, what do you guys believe i should be getting paid for my job? Reason is my co-worker who has only been here a month is a book keeper assistant and already got a $1 raise and is at $15/hr. I just want to make sure i am not letting them take a advantage of me and would like to get paid what i am worth.

Thanks
    "ON TIME, ON TARGET, NEVER QUIT"

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I wonder if you might not be able to get the same job at another dealer for $20+ / hr.

I would ask $20 and in the meantime, find out how other dealers are handling this. Have you done any special things to the database handling to make your job easier? And I mean things that you haven't told them about? If you made any special secret scripts, make sure you hide or remove those if they decide to bring in another person to "help you".

In my past job, I created some secret scripts to automate some really mundane tasks that they insisted be done manually ... "because it takes a human eye to find mistakes". They assumed I was doing it myself all along and I wasn't doing anything (the scripts were). I've since left a long time ago and I removed all traces of those scripts I used.

My point is that you are correct ... you're not getting paid enough (my opinion), but since you have the scripting power to do PHP and MySQL, you can do things to make your job easier, without letting anyone know about it. You can even have CRON jobs run scripts at midnight while you're sleeping. Maybe you pre-load a bunch of stuff that has to go on the next day (or a future date), and an automated script does the postings for you before you arrive at work?

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I just thought of something else ...

You can buy a bluetooth ODB-II diagnostic interface that can send data to your smartphone.

I envision you could sit down in a used car, plug in the ODB-II, and upload the VIN number and any other specific information. I don't think the ODB-II reports the actual odometer, so you would enter that into a text box on a web page app. So with a smartphone, you take a photo of the used car, enter the data while you're there, standing next to the car.

How do you do that now? Are you using any smartphone or WiFi technology?
    peezybro likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Thanks for the fast reply! Right now i don't have any scripts as my work requires me to do everything that needs to be done within that work day and i would just write a query to complete the task giving.

I work mainly for a timeshare resale site, but the boss also owns a used car dealership so he just included that into my tasks over time.

However the dude that did the Database work before me told me to shoot for $17-20 but when i tried to negotiate with my manager he just basically turned me down.

My plan is to ask for either $17-20 for right now, but just wanted to check with other people in the field!

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mlseim, post: 249035
    I just thought of something else ...

You can buy a bluetooth ODB-II diagnostic interface that can send data to your smartphone.

I envision you could sit down in a used car, plug in the ODB-II, and upload the VIN number and any other specific information. I don't think the ODB-II reports the actual odometer, so you would enter that into a text box on a web page app. So with a smartphone, you take a photo of the used car, enter the data while you're there, standing next to the car.

How do you do that now? Are you using any smartphone or WiFi technology?
    for that sort of stuff, they have a dealership software they bought that lists all the information, the person who takes the pictures just uploads it to the computer!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    The absolute worst thing anyone can do is talk with co-workers about pay.

It inspires animosity, disdain, and outright bad feelings. In your case you're comparing your pay to someone else that does a different job, uses a different skill set, and they have been there less time than you.

You can only compare apples to other apples.

I make decent money at the job that I do as my primary "job", compared to other people in other places, its not as much, but I don't want to live in those places. Its a job with the same company that has provided not only a decent paycheck, but a really good benefit package as well.

I have up comparing what I make to others years ago, because unless there is someone else there with the same skill set, the same responsibilities, the same everything... Then its not an accurate comparison.

DBA's do typically make more than what you're making, but guess what, what you have explained as your duties is what my entry level interns do, just because you work with a DB... Sure you may be the most knowledgeable at that location, but from your own explanations and previous questions posted on this board... You're really not doing what most DBA's do.

To take a look at a job posting for an actual DBA position, not really wanting to hurt your feelings here, but doubtful you could do some of the basic task that DBA's normally do.

I know I pay an ORACLE DBA ( certified by ORACLE as a DBA on their systems ) $300 an hour, but when he's done, I know what he's done is going to work, issues that he has addressed are resolved, or DB's he has created are going to work, and my audits on my financial systems are maintained, because he is a certified DBA.

I know my way around DB's and have been working with them for a long time, would never consider myself a DBA... Even though I manage probably 60+ DB's between my day job and my clients.

The point is, feel fortunate you're making 14 an hour right now, if you find a task or process that makes you more valuable to your employer, the ask for a raise, but its completey up to him, whether what you've done is "value added to the business".

I can guarantee you I should be making more money from my day job than I currently do, but instead of worrying about it, I started doing freelance and consulting in my free time... About 5 years ago, I started making more in my free time that I do at my day job, so technically, no I don't need my day job. But I get a great benefit package ( really the only real reason I stay ) , I get to order and play ( I mean test ), new cutting edge technology on their dime, and my bank accounts , retirement are growing just that much faster... Sure it's a grind sometimes... But I took control and quit worrying about things I have no control over.

Sorry for the rant, just way too many other there these day thing they deserve more just for being there, kinda tired of the whining.

If you can't find another job in your current area, perhaps its time for a change...

Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 249042
    The absolute worst thing anyone can do is talk with co-workers about pay.

It inspires animosity, disdain, and outright bad feelings. In your case you're comparing your pay to someone else that does a different job, uses a different skill set, and they have been there less time than you.

You can only compare apples to other apples.

I make decent money at the job that I do as my primary "job", compared to other people in other places, its not as much, but I don't want to live in those places. Its a job with the same company that has provided not only a decent paycheck, but a really good benefit package as well.

I have up comparing what I make to others years ago, because unless there is someone else there with the same skill set, the same responsibilities, the same everything... Then its not an accurate comparison.

DBA's do typically make more than what you're making, but guess what, what you have explained as your duties is what my entry level interns do, just because you work with a DB... Sure you may be the most knowledgeable at that location, but from your own explanations and previous questions posted on this board... You're really not doing what most DBA's do.

To take a look at a job posting for an actual DBA position, not really wanting to hurt your feelings here, but doubtful you could do some of the basic task that DBA's normally do.

I know I pay an ORACLE DBA ( certified by ORACLE as a DBA on their systems ) $300 an hour, but when he's done, I know what he's done is going to work, issues that he has addressed are resolved, or DB's he has created are going to work, and my audits on my financial systems are maintained, because he is a certified DBA.

I know my way around DB's and have been working with them for a long time, would never consider myself a DBA... Even though I manage probably 60+ DB's between my day job and my clients.

The point is, feel fortunate you're making 14 an hour right now, if you find a task or process that makes you more valuable to your employer, the ask for a raise, but its completely up to him, whether what you've done is "value added to the business".

I can guarantee you I should be making more money from my day job than I currently do, but instead of worrying about it, I started doing freelance and consulting in my free time... About 5 years ago, I started making more in my free time that I do at my day job, so technically, no I don't need my day job. But I get a great benefit package ( really the only real reason I stay ) , I get to order and play ( I mean test ), new cutting edge technology on their dime, and my bank accounts , retirement are growing just that much faster... Sure it's a grind sometimes... But I took control and quit worrying about things I have no control over.

Sorry for the rant, just way too many other there these day thing they deserve more just for being there, kinda tired of the whining.

If you can't find another job in your current area, perhaps its time for a change...
    Thank you for this reply, This is the exact answer i was looking for when i started this thread! I didn't want to come off as whining or anything like that. I am perfectly fine with my pay and job tasks. Just wanted other peoples opinions if i was getting under paid at all. With the information you provided, I see what you mean and agree.

As for the co-worker thing, She is one of my friends before this job and the subject just came up about what we make. The only thing i got a bit mad about was her getting a raise in the first month due to her manager is nicer then my manager lol not its really no big deal.

Thanks for helping me get better understanding on this subject. I rather be informed on what certain jobs are worth then be completely under paid and not knowing!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    I didn't mean for it to turn into a rant, but sometimes I just "over reply", to get my point across.

Glad you got something out of it and it was useful to you.

Growing up I learned a very valuable lesson, I never took a job that paid less than the job I was leaving. And I was always looking for the next opportunity. Once I got married and had children, my priorities changed drastically. When you're young, benefits don't seem to be that big of a deal, but one trip to the hospital without insurance is a BIG wake up call.

More and more companies have cut their benefits to next to nothing, but should always be considered before taking a job. And there's always a value to staying put, if staying out will allow you to grow and build on what you've already learned. Until the next opportunity comes along.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    My thoughts on this stem from the fact that twenty five years ago, I was making $14 / hr as an electronic tech for Sperry Univac. No college degree ... I had attended a vocational trade school. I guess that I'm just out of touch with the current pay scale. I think it also makes a difference on where you live.

The starting wage for industrial electronic techs at 3M in Minnesota is around $25-$35 / hour. Sperry Univac no longer exists. I'm not sure what I.T. jobs are starting at. You're talking about working at a small business, but I still think your job would be considered technical. You are under paid in my opinion.

On a side note ... my daughter makes $10 / hr babysitting. Not quite as technically skilled as dba.
    peezybro and AlphaMare like this.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Yeah, and depending on where you live, babysitters can make 25-30 an hour.

The main point it, jobs pay-scale is and always will be location dependent. Normally, the primary industry in the area is going to drive the base pay scale, so an area where tourism is the prime industry will pay less than say a nearby area that manufacturing and or business services is the primary industry.

Why ? Simple, supply and demand.

In the early 80's I was making 25 an hour in a textile plant as a mechanic. That area had 200+ manufacturing plants, from bed sheets to auto parts. Avg. starting pay was about 18-20 an hour. Of course the textile industry tanked in the mid 80's because at those high salaries, they could not compete with the flood of textiles being imported.

When I moved to a big tourist area, there were like 3 textile mills within driving distance, avg. starting pay at those was only 8 an hour. Because instead of having a labor force of literally thousands of skilled workers, there were only several hundred.

I chose construction because that's where the money was at the time.

In a primarily tourism market, the avg starting pay is usually minimum wage... Because they are low skill level jobs that pretty much anyone can do. That in turn drives down the areas pay-scale, because the areas workforce is considered low skill level, and most companies only pay what they can get away with.

Seriously, why pay someone 20 an hour if you can fill and keep the job filled for 14 ? It a basic of business economics. My current employer built the plant in 1990, they were planning on ( in their business plan ), paying employees starting out 12 an hour ( actually less than half what they pay their employees in NJ ), but the local businesses were avg. 8 an hour, were afraid that this new company would come in an hire all the skilled talent ( they would have at 12 an hour ), so the local businesses complained and asked that they not pay more than 10% over the area avg.

So it went from 12 to 8.50 an hour overnight.

I still say, feel fortunate to have a job at 14 an hour in this economy. Take as much as you can, get as much as you can from your current employer. When you feel that has topped out, or you keep doing more and more ( regardless of what it is ), and you're adding value to the business and not getting anything for it, then perhaps its time to move on.

I do have to make a comment about taking any scripts you create to make the job better, I guess if you don't disclose them to anyone..... But technically, just like the automation scripts I use to manage and secure my networks... Because anything I actually get paid to do in the course of my job is considered " work products", legally, I am required to leave them in place when and if I leave.

Last year, a network admin working for a big company was told he was being laid off. He had management scripts in place, and only he had the passwords to the network equipment. He didn't leave any passwords, 3 months later the network went down. No one to get into the network equipment to fix it. They contacted him, he refused to turn them over unless they paid him a years salary. This network outage eventually cost that company several hundred thousand dollars. A judge just awarded the company a judgement against the former employee, because if he had in leaving made sure the passwords and scripts were documented, or had turned over the passwords when asked ... Not because be asked for a ransom, but because the scripts he created were a "work product" and the company owned them.

Yeah, you could argue, the company should have asked for them before releasing him, but in this circumstance, he probably work never had admitted they existed much less, given them the passwords.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads