Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Greetings!!!

Member #
    Greetings one and all, I am Scoops and yes everyone does calls me that...

Me: I currently work as a mechanical design engineer and have been set a challenge by the Mrs!

Following a discussion with the Mrs the other day that started with, "Your good with computers, I was thinking...", but to cut a long story short I ended up agreeing to having a go at building a web site for my beloved.

And so the brief from the Mrs was this: "Your the Engineer, darling..."

Right then, so the Mrs is a Transcriptionist, I did a bit of a trawl on the tinternet and found this site https://www.uktranscription.com which I think would be a good concept to base on and looks like it has all the functionality on there that she would need to enable clients to upload files, register and set up accounts, file manager, invoices and payments, the works!

Next I found this forum and by the looks of it with all you knowledgeable fellows, may just be my new home for a while and may pester you interweb gurus for a while as I seek to achieve this quest.

So far I have briefly looked at some web hosts that offer features like the web builder facility, that do look tempting and straight forward but don't seem to cater on the face of it with the options that the above website has on it, 1 did offer when contacted that it is a shared platform and has 25 GB which should be sufficient but I have no idea what this means, shared platform? And as was not sure of the lingo could not really specifically ask what I wanted.

Anyways, I am conversant with using graphics, cad, rendering and some office applications software as well as basic VB skills and thought this would be a doddle but when it comes to the website world in truth I'm totally lost and would humbly appreciate any guidance, advice, links to previous posts that relate to this or indeed anything that would be of relevance to help me on the way to go forward with this.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Sounds like a huge project for a person that has no web development skills. I'm going to say that you should hire a freelance programmer. Shared platforms equate to "shared webhost" ... which is what most people use. A company like GoDaddy, 1and1, cleverdot, etc. give you website space to use on their server. They are in control of the server stuff. A dedicated (or virtual) webhost would be a place where you have your own server and you are in control of that aspect. For most of us, there is little need to be in control of the actual server.

Not only do you have the actual website to deal with, the scripts, the databases, the security ... you also have to deal with credit card processing and transfer of files back and forth.

When your wife's car breaks down tell her ... "You're the expert at driving the car, you should be able to repair it". The point is ... hire someone who is an expert at developing web sites.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Looking at the site provided, the payment processor service could be handled by pay pal using the invoicing feature.

I can't image many "drive by clients", I may be wrong, but I would expect the people seeking at service, you would want to have some kind of client agreement with, before actually working with them, just due to the nature of the type of business it is and the confidentiality nature of the service.

I can image for this site for your purposes, you could just create a basic informational site to start out with, explaining your service, the process, your rates, etc.

A contact form for enquiries and yes, a way to upload the information. Here I the US, you would need to have all the uploads of data be sent to an SSL site and yes, from a legal standpoint, you should have hippa disclosures in place with the hosting provider and yes, a dedicated server. Uploading confidential medical records ( even in audio form ), would need to have secure access and secure transport in place so technically, uploading a patients records or any personally identifiable information would need to be secured and removed from the physical server in a reasonable amount of time.

I don't know or am aware of any regulations in the UK, but I would suspect you should look into that before making any kind of investment.

An informational site only, would not fall under any of these guidelines or regulations, but when you start transferring records, different things come into play. Storage and retention of these records are also a consideration.

Member #
    Hey Scoops,

If you are interested, personally I have been through the entire process of setting up and creating my own website for my transcription business. If you want any help or tips I will happpily provide. You can see my site here at: TauRho Transcribes - UK Audio Transcription Services

Alternatively, if your wife is over-burdened with all of her transcription work we will be happy to help!

Remove Ads