Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Hi everyone,

I'm trying to learn how to use video editing, with screen capturing being a focus. I want to make tutorial videos for Wordpress so that I don't need to repeat my instructions for every client that I make a Wordpress site for in the future. During this time, I've also had a great idea of using screen captures to help my clients out. For example, if my client doesn't know how to edit a slideshow, I'll record my screen, go through the motions, save the video and send it to them.

My question is where should I be storing these videos? Or having my client access these videos? Is there a site? Or is there a software out there that I can host on my own server? I'm not sure where to look. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I use the free version of bb flashback: http://www.bbsoftware.co.uk/BBFlashBack_FreePlayer.aspx
    You use a microphone and talk and it records your screen and actions at the same time. The final presentation is a Flash video (browser use), or they can choose do download the free flashback player (an option if they wish, for offline use).

So the answer is, you host the Flash (swf) files on your server. There is a problem with Flash ... they can't view them on devices that don't support Flash. I haven't looked at the flashback site lately to see if they are offering the video playback in other formats. I believe they do. My clients tell me that they really like the help videos I make. I'm not the best narrator, but they get the point of what I say.

EDIT: I see the free version now is the Flashback Express. You can read about it to see what features they have. Otherwise, the paid version is $90.

Member #
    Liked
    138 times
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Thanks guys. I ended up giving my first client a screencast via screencast.com, recorded with Jing. Everything went smoothly, except the fact that rendering takes foreverrrrrr... Is this why they say Macs are better with video? Because it took 15 minutes to render and upload a basic quality 9 minute cast.

Remove Ads