Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi, I am revising a portfolio website that I created during college. For the new site, I sketched a few ideas and felt that because I don't have a lot of information, I could place everything on one page. I don't have a rough draft of the layout yet so here is a list:
    • LOGO centered in the header with a small caption that says "The Online Portfolio of (First & Last Name)"
    • SLIDESHOW that displays the work I've created, titled "Portfolio" or "Recent Work"
    • 3 COLUMNS from left to right:
    • ABOUT - A paragraph about myself.
    • RESUME - A short paragraph with links to download my CV
    • CONTACT - Email, social media addresses and a telephone number
    • FOOTER - Copyright information

1. Is this acceptable, or should a portfolio contain separate pages?
    2. If there is no navigation menu, does this risk throwing visitors off?
    3. What should I replace the resume column with?
    4. If I decide to create separate pages, then what should go on the homepage?

Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Define "portfolio".

In this industry a portfolio is a grouping of work previously done to highlight web design skills.

And a portfolio should be completely separate from everything else. So the visitor can focus on just that aspect of the site.

If this is for a "personal" information site, and the purpose is her same, your résumé (even if short) should be separated for the same purpose.

Member #
    Attached to this reply are the rough drafts for the layout, as png images. On "homepage.png" the Portfolio section is represented by a slideshow of images that preview each portfolio piece. If a visitor clicks on any image, this takes him/her to a page "homepage-with-lightbox.png" created with Jquery/Lightbox that contains more information about the portfolio piece.

Resume column - visitor can download the resume a microsoft word or pdf copy.
    Contact column - Links to my email and social media.

However, if this doesn't work out or doesn't look right, I will create another version where the resume, portfolio and contact information will have separate pages. If I get rid of the resume and contact columns then what information should I put in their place?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    When I need inspiration I look at other great designers.
    Try this for portfolio inspirations http://www.designfridge.co.uk/?s=portfolio&x=0&y=0

Remove Ads