Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi, what test server can I use to check my site, before uploading, if Im my site is done in html/css but not in php.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    if you're running windows, pretty much every version has the ability to run IIS ( Internet Information Server ), from your installation disk.

if you don't want to go that route, there's an abundance of Web Server software that allow you to run static sites. http://analogx.com has a simple web server you can install easily and run on a windows machine.

if you're running linux, you can go the route of LAMP or XAMP, but those are more for a full blown development environment with MySql and Apache integrated.

I think if you just google "simple web server" you should have lots of options.

if you're running windows and want to know who to install IIS, just ask... kinda tricky, but completely doable.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    I test all my sites in WAMP - whether they are HTML/CSS or PHP.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    No server is necessary for HTML/CSS only. Double-click the file to open in the browser.
    m3n0tu18, Webzarus and kralcx like this.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Hi, thanks, downloaded Inkexame from analogx.com but now how do I use it. I mean the file is on the computer, but how do I integrate it with my program, notepad++. to check the coding etc.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe, post: 249653, member: 27211
    No server is necessary for HTML/CSS only. Double-click the file to open in the browser.
    That is true for straight up HTML and CSS, but if you have some JS or JQuery, it will kick an error unless it's coming from a server. If he uses any kind of JavaScript for navigation, it would be hit or miss ( depending on his browser settings ) as to whether it works or not.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 249659, member: 27723
    That is true for straight up HTML and CSS, but if you have some JS or JQuery, it will kick an error unless it's coming from a server. If he uses any kind of JavaScript for navigation, it would be hit or miss ( depending on his browser settings ) as to whether it works or not.
    Was never aware of this. What kind of errors are we talking? I ask, because I've never had an issue.
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer
    "If every app were designed using the same design template, oh wait...Bootstrap."

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Roe, post: 249660, member: 27211
    Was never aware of this. What kind of errors are we talking? I ask, because I've never had an issue.
    If you're running a clean browser install ( all default settings ), IE7 and below, the normal errors is kicks are "security warnings" and or "activeX" errors.

If the same exact pages are "served", then the browser doesn't see them as security or activeX errors.

I never really dug into the issue, I think its the same with IE8 ( I believe I saw it once ), and if you turn your "browser security settings" to low or add "local files" as a trusted source, you probably don't get the errors either.

I think the whole stinky mess is just IE ... But using a web server of any kind will also make sure that the "relative links" work, as they don't as a local file... As a local file, you can link files, images, etc from anywhere on the HD and they work, but push them to a real server, and... Well, you know what happens.

Member #
    Liked
    959 times
    My favorite "set-up-really-quick-no-config-necessary" server is IIS bundled with WebMatrix (didn't say I didn't use one, just that I didn't think it was necessary, which it turns out I was wrong about). All you have to do is fire up WebMatrix, and the server is ready to go.

I do remember having seen that flag come up in IE. Been so long since I've worked on anything static...
    Ron Roe
    Web Developer

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads