Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Language Web

Member #
    Hello people,
    I'm 16 studying in informatics, actually I'm in stage and I have to develop a website in any language I decide (usually, because of the sad knowledge, we make websites in html & css), my teacher is a little out of the actuality, he doesn't even use css and he does the layout's using tables..., We've got a discussion because of this and I think he hate's me heheh,

I don't care about the rate I'll have in the stage, I want to make a spectacular fantastic, innovator website, I dispose of 1 year and a half, but I don't know what kind of language should I learn or use, I want something impressive and I'll be learning it without stop.

Thanks for the attention, could anyone give me some tips of what should I learn to make a good website for the cause?

Member #
    Liked
    181 times
    After HTML, and CSS the best language to learn next would be jQuery http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JQuery
    Artificial intelligence is nothing compared to natural stupidity -Someone

Design is a funny word. Some people think design means how it looks.
    But of course, if you dig deeper, itís really how it works.
    -Steve Jobs

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Study php so you can become a Drupal master.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kralcx, post: 249828, member: 20811
    Study php so you can become a Drupal master.
    Why?
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 249831, member: 20289
    Why?
    ...'cause Drupal development skills are in demand

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Here's what you do, Daniel...take something you like and know something about, or something that you have a unique perspective on and that has a potential unique audience. For example, if you're a green belt with a brown stripe in karate, you might build a site on karate, the various schools, the disciplines, and other information someone who's interested in karate might want to know.

Once you have your idea, work toward it.

Why do it this way? Because the technologies you'll need to use (the HTML, the CSS, any server-side languages) will be a lot less abstract and you'll be a lot better able to apply them to what you're doing. Because it's something you're interested in, you'll be a lot more likely to build the awesome site you want and thus be able to tell your teacher to shove it up his ***.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kralcx, post: 249833, member: 20811
    ...'cause Drupal development skills are in demand
    He's doing this as a school project - why would you suggest he learn PHP for the OpenSource CMS with the steepest learning curve?

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaMare, post: 249861, member: 20289
    He's doing this as a school project - why would you suggest he learn PHP for the OpenSource CMS with the steepest learning curve?
    If he starts young he'll be ahead of the game. There is no reason to shy away from the language because of the learning curve; besides his teacher should understand this and reward him accordingly because of the extra effort he is making.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by kralcx, post: 249921, member: 20811
    If he starts young he'll be ahead of the game. There is no reason to shy away from the language because of the learning curve; besides his teacher should understand this and reward him accordingly because of the extra effort he is making.
    You`d be right if there were no time limit on school projects. And in order to reward the extra effort, the teacher would have to understand it - and that`s not likely.

Game has the best answer for this person - working on something you`re enthusiastic about will almost always lead to a better result than working on something just for the sake of getting it done.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Yeah, because teachers are all about forward, independent thinkers and would do absolutely nothing to stand in the way of someone attempting to better him/herself.

I have no idea what schools you've attended, but a teacher that will actually let a student learn on his/her own and encourage it is a very rare breed. It's not unheard of, but the vast majority of teachers are all about "stick to the curriculum, the board of education knows all, do not question, do not speak out, do not buck the system."

If this teacher is already trying to cram tabular layouts down the students' throats, chances are a guy showing off a PHP site is going to meet some resistance. That's why I suggested to build based on interest...by building based on interest, the knowledge learned will have been applied, and thus would be much more difficult for the teacher to argue with (building a site in PHP/Drupal "just because" means applied knowledge isn't demonstrated). It wouldn't be impossible, and the teacher could always subject the OP to some form of a punitive penalty, but it would be much more difficult.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads