Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I am a newbie to website design/building. I have been maintaining an existing website for a friend and am now creating a new website for my wife who is an author. I have purchased tools like Dreamweaver, Photoshop, After Effects, etc. I have watched many website planning/designing tutorials and have a basic idea on where and how to get started. Now to my question .... my initial plan for the website design is to display a full screen 30 second video clip when the visiter first enters the website and upon completion it would go to a typical navagational syle webpage. I have never seen this on any website and just wondering can this be done? Not asking how at this point just if it can be done.
    Thanks

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    You could do it, and it has been done...it's called a splash page.

However, that doesn't mean you should do it. The problem with 30 seconds of video is that it's 30 seconds that the user either has to wait or that the user has to do something to elect to bypass in order to get to the content. I've done it in the past a few times for people, and it has never worked, simply because people lack patience in general.

If you're going to do anything, have the video embedded in the home page along with some content and let people play it if they want to.
    AlphaMare and Marshall like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Yes, it can be done.
    But, it SHOULDN'T be done.

Any site that automatically forces me to watch something or listen to something (or both) - I get out as fast as I can.

A while ago there was a fad of having a flash intro for sites - a flash animation that lasted 15 to 45 seconds, some even longer, complete with sound. That died out pretty fast as visitors left those sites in droves.

If you're going to have video on the site, and by all means, do so if it adds to the content and context of the site, put in in a place and in such a way so that visitors can OPT to watch it.

Of course that is only my opinion, but do a little research and you'll find that it's really not recommended to have autoplay anymore.

EDIT: seems I type slower than TheGame...
    Marshall likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Just for the record, it's a good thing that you asked this question before you did it. If you're new and aren't sure of a concept, this is the best way to find out. We're not trying to rip off your head or tear apart what you have in mind...we're just trying to help you avoid making a mistake beforehand, that's all.
    AlphaMare and Marshall like this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    What both of them said, pretty much nailed it.

Now from another angle, splash pages using flash and or video, especially on your entry page , kill any chances of getting a new site listed or displayed on a search engine.

Typically today, splash pages like this are relegated to specific marketing efforts. I still do them occasionally for a product launch, new offering, etc. but they are never on the front page of a site, they are rarely even listed on the sites navigation. But the links are always in email, ads, etc. so we can monitor the responses, how many views, how many watch the entire video, how many bounces, etc.

Again, you don't want to use them on your entry page for reasons stated above. I've seen some companies link to them from their front page ( more from ego and they spent money on it so why not ), but most I've talked to about it say, even if done embedded so there's still content and links on the pages, affect how search engines see the site.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks guys, this is exactly what I needed to read. Excellent feedback from you all ... reading your feedback make perfect sinse so I will trash the splash page and make it available as an optional play.
    AlphaMare likes this.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Good call, dude. Good on you for understanding that we're trying to help you and that what you needed to read is more important than what you wanted to read. That's appreciated from this end.
    AlphaMare likes this.

Remove Ads