Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    I am currently in the beginning stages of building my website, which is a retail site. Are these forums the right place to be for beginner help or are they for more advanced design? I am hoping I can find a help forum that can help me out along the way.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Welcome, yes this is the place where you can learn how to move from basic to intermediate to advanced ... But from the general tone of the content ... You'll find that you're more apt to get help with issues, if you try, make an effort... Run into issues... And ask the question with as much detail explaining what you've done and what failed, and what you're trying to do.

If you just ask general questions, or ask someone to just provide code on how to do something, you're probably not going to get much help.

There are a lot of knowledgeable people here with a vast array of knowledge and they want to help anyone that is working at helping themselves.

Oh. I also might mention, asking simple questions that can be answered by searching the forums or google, will most likely be ignored or you may actually get called out on it.

We help people that make an effort to do for themselves ( as that's how most of us have gained the knowledge and experience we have ).

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    WZ is right. There are quite a few people on here with a lot of knowledge on various topics. WZ knows hosting, AlphaMare knows WordPress, Ron Roe knows CSS/PHP, delstu knows SEO, I know .NET, and about a dozen of us (names listed above included) know a lot about a lot of other topics. So chances are if you have a question, at least 2-3 of us will probably have some idea as far as the answer is concerned, and we're willing to help if/when we can.

Having said that, WZ is also right in that it's a whole lot easier to find help, and we're a whole lot more likely to help in the first place, if you're willing to at least help yourself and ideally others in turn. If you have a problem with something you're working on, it's better if you show us what you've worked on and anything you've tried that didn't work.

One thing I will say is that, depending on exactly what you're building, retail sites (I'm assuming you mean a product site here) generally aren't for beginners. There are certain complexities and aspects of a retail site that require careful though, consideration, and experience. Things such as navigation, URL structure, organization of content, etc. are things that you'll have to have at least some knowledge of (or be willing to pick up quickly).
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    Also consider online services that do it all for you ...
    They host your site.
    They have built-in editors that you use for creating your store online.
    They handle the credit card transactions.

Your other option is to hire a programmer and deal with your own webhost account.

Those two options may have the same end-costs.

Member #
    I went through godaddy to host my site. I have never built a website in my life but the way godaddy explained it it sounded easy. They told me to install and use wordpress and zencart, which I did, but there is nothing easy about any of this. Wordpress seems to be more tailored towards blog sites and not so much product sites. I was thinking of purchasing software called Web Easy Pro. Would something like this work for me?

Member #
    Liked
    265 times
    what exactly are you trying to do with the build? what are the plans?
    If you like my comments to your thread please click the LIKE button

Check out my portfolio: Here!
    View my company Facebook Page
    View my company Website

<<Plrease ignoer my typo's I have isdexlyia>>

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by makidigital, post: 249981, member: 36111
    I went through godaddy to host my site. I have never built a website in my life but the way godaddy explained it it sounded easy. They told me to install and use wordpress and zencart, which I did, but there is nothing easy about any of this. Wordpress seems to be more tailored towards blog sites and not so much product sites. I was thinking of purchasing software called Web Easy Pro. Would something like this work for me?
    Easy is a relative term. Relative to the user experince In this case.

The problem is, what you're reading is "typical marketing speak"... Kinda like those hamburger ads... If they actually showed what the hamburger you actually got looked like, you probably wouldn't rush ou to buy it... Same with web hosting and running any kind of site ...

Was the WP site and zen cart easy to install ? Compared to the way it is done on a server that doesn't have the builtin application installers... You have no idea.

So yeah, easy compared to other things... But if you know absolutely nothing about web hosting, logic for DB management, logic used for creating categories, etc... Maybe not so easy...

Don't let the name of a product fool you either, the program you mentioned also has a learning curve, and for the guys that put it together... Or compared to some other ecommerce platforms, it might be easy... To someone who know nothing... Probably not.

I can tell you as I have told many others before you... An ecommerce site is not something to "start out with".... Even experienced people have issues with ecommerce... As its a whole different logic set to deal with...

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What WZ said. "Easy" depends on your experience and comfort level. You have 0 experience and 0 comfort level...therefore, everything will and should be difficult for you. It's your first time. Think about the first time you rode a bike, drove a car, hit a pitched baseball, tried using a computer, etc. There's a learning curve you have to take.

E-commerce sites, as WZ also said (and I did earlier), aren't easy regardless of one's experience level. There are a lot of things to consider, and there are no third-party e-commerce platforms that cover more than the most basic throw-products-on-a-shelf-with-a-checkout scenario well. Look at a site such as Amazon, for example. Do you know what software they used? Their own, and with good reason...they had a lot of different things to consider as they grew. You will see very few large sites, if any, that use third-party stuff (I can't think of a single one myself).

What exactly are you selling?
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads