Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Can I assume that the .png format is supported by all browsers and devices?

Should I have any worries about the larger size of these png files slowing down the page loads for those few stragglers that are still using dial-up?
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:
    PEST - The Personal Exam Self-Tester

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    There's more than a few but if your target market is non-tech savy people its probably a big concern.

But

When I make a png file... Its typically smaller than jpg of the same thing. If you're creating pngs from scratch, the output png file should be smaller.... If you're just converting .jpg files to png, try optimizing them to 70% quality before converting to .png format.

Member #
    That's a big concern. What kinds of browsers / devices are we talking about? I'm guessing IE6? Any others?
    ~ mikeycorn
    With over 72,000 questions worth of user submitted quizzes, it's the world's most popular quiz creation software:
    PEST - The Personal Exam Self-Tester

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    PNG is pretty well-supported. Old IE has some issues with transparency though. I think it's IE6. But then again, I don't think catering to IE6 is time well spent. In terms of size, you should know the size of every picture. Small pictures or transparent text as PNG are fine, but slideshow pictures as PNG are bandwidth murderers. I'm talking about more than 200k. Yes, they're pixel perfect, but a 85% quality JPG conversion could look nearly as good.

Take a look at this website: http://www.spacho.com/ . Pretty... but all their images are PNG, resulting in a 10MB website. F***.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It is IE6 that has problems with transparency, but there is a PNG fix floating around out there. The other browsers handle it fine for the most part, although IE7 can have issues with a PNG translucent background and text on top (it has a tendency to distort the text and make it hard to read).

The "few stragglers that are still using dialup" can be a concern depending on your target market and area. The majority have some form of broadband, but there are still a large percentage of people on dialup (the statistics I've read generally indicate between 30-35% as of the end of 2011, so you're probably still looking at a minimum of 25% now). I'm not sure if this exists in the states, but I can tell you for a fact that there are multiple "dead zones" in Canada that are too far away for urban/suburban broadband connections (DSL, cable, even most mobile providers) but are too close for rural/satellite internet packages. One of my clients happens to live on the outer edge of just such a dead zone...his property is actually bisected by the outer range border for mobile stick usage, and unfortunately his house is on the wrong side of that border (his property is 10 acres, hence the border). To make matters worse, it's an ecologically protected area as it's part of a moraine, so there is no possibility of land development such that cable/DSL providers would want to set up shop. Pay attention to your stats on this one...in particular, Google Analytics can reveal quite a bit that way as far as who's on cable/DSL/dialup/"other".

The other thing you'll want to consider is that a lot of broadband packages cap bandwidth usage and charge for the overage. I had to adjust my TV/internet package last week such that I had to drop TV channels and upgrade my Internet package because we kept hitting between 85-90% of the bandwidth cap, and rising (my daughter has just discovered nursery rhymes on YouTube). A PNG by itself won't count much against that cap, but it can add up over time, especially if you don't have a means of caching files and your users are regulars. The same may also apply to your hosting plan.

This isn't to say don't use PNGs...heck, I use them. Just pick your spots. My rule of thumb is "if I don't need alpha transparency, I'll use a JPG."
    m3n0tu18 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads