Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: File size

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Working on my first website (a portfolio site) just wondering when would my file size be too big? Currently it's about 890kbs and I haven't put in any of the content yet - that's just the navigation etc. At what size do websites start slowing down etc?

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shanuea, post: 250221, member: 36123
    Working on my first website (a portfolio site) just wondering when would my file size be too big? Currently it's about 890kbs and I haven't put in any of the content yet - that's just the navigation etc. At what size do websites start slowing down etc?
    Which file are you talking about? HTML, CSS?
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    A portfolio of what? Are you an artist?
    Can you give us the URL to your site so we can see what might be happening?

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    It's a graphic design portfolio - I'm waiting on my teacher to upload a test of it to the school server - Is there somewhere I can upload it easily for testing that you're aware of?

The file I'm talking about is the working file on my desktop - so that includes the html, css, js, and all assets (images and stuff - except for the portfolio contents)

The portfolio contents will be jpegs mostly and perhaps a flash video and a small download or two.

Here's a screenshot in this post of the start of it so you can get an idea:
    http://www.webdesignforums.net/threa...browser.40157/

Sorry to not have a link yet - I'm impatient to get it up but have to wait on my teacher.

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    I would say that 890Kb is big, but for a graphic design portfolio, you probably have some larger graphics involved. That makes the size 'expected' ... meaning, the audience visiting the site expects you to have lots of graphics. This would be similar to a rock band website would be expected to have lots of large MP3 and video files.

But we still would need to be able to examine the real sizes and make sure there are not things you could optimize. So, keep plugging along and deal with that part later. You can give us a link when possible.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks mlseim.
    I trimmed it down to 600kb. That's just navigation layout etc - no actual content added yet (as in graphic design pieces)

Will post post a link as soon as I can.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by shanuea, post: 250234, member: 36123
    The file I'm talking about is the working file on my desktop - so that includes the html, css, js, and all assets (images and stuff - except for the portfolio contents)
    Sounds like you're talking about a folder, not just one file?
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    718 times
    What you're describing (890Kbs worth of total file size) is no big deal.

So far, everything looks fine. I see no issues.

You can put all of your CSS style sheet stuff into it's own .css file. Same amount of bytes, but it cleans-up your index file a bit.

You're using JQuery/javascripting. That's a good thing to learn and use. I see that you are not using any PHP scripting. Using PHP would allow you to do some more dynamic things. Your project probably doesn't cover the scope of using PHP, but something to think about in the future when you want to use forms, online editing, uploading files and photos online, etc.

Keep plugging along and if you have any other problems, repost your link and describe the issue so we can see it. That makes it 1000% easier for us to help you.

EDIT:
    I see you're using a free webhost? Which is why it has an ad banner. That's fine for putting it online and troubleshooting. You didn't say how old you are, but if you're old enough to have a credit card you can subscribe to your own shared webhost account with your own domain name for only about $50 per year. That's what, about 10 cups of Starbuck's coffee? A host like cleverdot.com, or 1&1.com, or whatever. Think about that because whatever you're doing would be owned by you, with your own website, and it would be permanent (not on someone else's account).

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks!
    @ Alphamare: Yes its the folder - the html index file is 37kbs.
    @ mlseim: Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it's just at that server temporarily for testing and showing you guys - I'll put it to a better one once finished. How old am I? 29.

Oh, there is one problem I can't seem to fix. Notice that the site is centred - you can't scroll to the left, but you can scroll to the right. I wan't to eliminate this so its just vertical scrolling.
    I've tried overflow-x:hidden, but it hasn't worked. The wrapper is absolutely positioned.
    I've discovered this only happens when you have a trackpad - on a laptop or something. It's fine on a mouse wheel computer.

If you know of how to fix this it would be great.

Remove Ads