Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Hi, I'm looking at different ideas for hosting my instructional videos for clients. I don't think I want to run it off my website, so I'm looking at CDNs, namely Amazon Web Services. I don't really have a problem paying, because as far as I can see, since it's private content and AWS charges by bandwidth, my bill should be small. I mean, 12cents for the first 10TB/month and .75 cents for 10,000 HTTP requests sounds like it would mean less than a dollar per month. I haven't had a client yet that was so big that we had to look at CDNs, so I'm quite clueless in this regard.

My question is this: how should you use CDNs and integrate that usage with your regular website editing?

What I mean is, let's say that you want to host your images on a CDN, do you log into your CDN, upload the image, and then get the link and go into your website and link it? Is there a tool that can automate the process? Do you throw everything onto your CDN, or just big files or media that are loaded again and again?

I'm also planning to use AWS for video streaming - is there anything I should know about that?

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    www.cloudflare.com

It's free and takes about 5 minutes to change DNS servers. That's it. The first time a file is accessed, CloudFlare finds it and caches it, then serves it from its cloud on subsequent requests.

EDIT: The only downside, and this is minor, is that whenever you make changes to JS/CSS/image files, you have to remember to put the site into Development Mode so that CloudFlare stops caching your stuff while you're trying to make sure the new stuff works, but that's a minor annoyance at best.

Now...I don't know if they'll handle video (haven't tried), but they very well might.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    Ok, I'll take a look at that, possibly. Thanks.

I actually had a previous experience with Cloudflare. Bluehost was offering/advertising it as free, so I one-click installed it. Then I eventually kept seeing that grey error page that says there's a caching issue and you have to click on a link to see the current page. I didn't really understand what was going on, so I just uninstalled it. 2nd time around is usually easier for me lol.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    heh

You don't need to one-click install it. All you need to do is sign up, get the DNS from CloudFlare, and edit your domain record to reflect it. I use it on Strike Spots and it works swimmingly.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Remove Ads