Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Hey I just bought a finished done website and the person sent me all the files transferred to domain to me and then I started hosting it but now what? the files are a bunch of wp files and .php files and I dont know what to do

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    On the surface, it sounds like you need to install the database (I'm guessing it's a WordPress site) and then, depending on what you've already done, set up the site itself on your server.

The problem with your question is that there isn't a universal answer to it. Usually you set up the hosting account, set up the database, upload the files to your server, possibly make adjustments to your wp-config.php file and you're good to go. If you've done anything out of order or incorrectly, though, you could be in any one of a million places with your site install.

What I would suggest is to ask the person who sold you the site if (s)he can help you set it up. It might only take that person an hour or so and given that you just gave that person money, (s)he might be willing to do it for nothing. If that doesn't work and you can't figure it out, you're probably going to have to pay someone to get it working.

The one thing I don't understand (or that I suspect I do but I'm hoping I'm wrong) is why you'd buy a finished WordPress website without buying the business.
    beantoe2 likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    how do I install the database? Im sorry if thats a dumb question. and I did ask them hopefully they respond soon

Member #
    also I dont understand the last part of your response

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    It's not a dumb question at all, because there are a whole bunch of ways to do it.

The exact answer depends on your host, what database server they have set up, any control panels, things like that. Chances are they'll have some sort of documentation on how to set up a database on their server, if they're someone like a HostGator or a Sectorlink or a BlueHost or someone like that.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    717 times
    Beantoe2 ....

You'll have to acquire some geek skills to set up the database, configure the WP files and get it installed. On top of that, you actually need to have experience with WordPress itself. The process can't be described here because it will take us an hour to type it all and explain it.

The 2nd part of the question was you bought a website ... I assume you purchased a pre-made or premium WordPress theme? Can you tell us where you bought it from? You didn't buy a business, but you bought a WordPress theme?

Also tell us who is hosting your website (the name of your webhost).

Member #
    Thank you all so much for your responses. (and they are very quick )

ok so the host is hostgator and this was one of the responses they sent '

job_files you have to upload in public_HTML
    then you need to create the database and import the database I have provided then its all set let me know if you need my help will all this for you and make it live...

Now I asked how to do this but they have not responded yet.
    So my question is how to do create a database.

And I did buy the whole business (the domain, and everything) I bought it from flippa.com so I bought the whole website but need help from the bottom up. Whether that means installing wordpress and putting it on my website or what ever.

Member #
    these are the files I have downloaded hope this might help somewhat
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    Okay, I saw what I hoped I wasn't going to in the end.

I'm going to tell you what you want to hear (hopefully) followed by what you don't.

The .sql file is, in all likelihood, your MySQL database. It's probably full of all the content you're looking for to launch your site. You'll need to install this on your server (again, the exact steps depend on your host and how they're set up), and then you'll need to edit wp_config.php to point to it...you'll get some connection info from your host, and you'll plug it into the appropriate spots in the file There may or may not be other .sql files in there, but that's the one you'll likely need.

Now for what you don't want to hear...

I can tell you bought a PLR site from Flippa. The flippa text file made it clear, as did the PLR folder. PLR, for those who are reading this and don't know, stands for Private Label Rights. People buy the sites or the content for the purpose or redistributing it in some form of fashion...usually, it's built to be resold or redisplayed as "useful content". It's unoriginal, it's low-grade, and it usually performs poorly compared to what the poor schmuck who bought it intended to.

PLR is part of the Warrior Forum line of "Internet Marketing" get-rich-quick-in-your-underwear everyone-follow-the-self-anointed-leader mentality. It doesn't work, hasn't worked in the 15-20 years it's been around, never will work, and amounts to the online equivalent of the Westboro Baptist Church...a vocal minority of zealots who refuse to get in touch with reality.

This is why you should never buy a "site" online. Buying a business is one thing...if it's got a unique focus and has something original to offer the world and hasn't been completely scorched by the previous owner, then yes, that's something you should buy. Buying a "PLR" site that others have been suckered into because it sounds like a quick and easy way to make money based on a whole bunch of hot air promises...not so much.

If you're smart, you'll either cut your losses and scrap the site idea, or you'll figure out how to get it up on a server and treat the process of setting up your first "site" as a learning experience...in other words, the money you lost counts as an educational expense. It's not going to make you money, though.

Member #
    oh god I hope not but yes it will definitely be a learning experience no matter what

okay so I uploaded the sql to via phpMyAdmin

and i changed the wp_config.php to the right stuff I think. now what

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Remove Ads