Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hey everyone,

I'm an amateur graphic designer just getting his hands dirty with creating websites. I'm in the process of building a website for my new clothing brand. I have a very newbie question about URL links:

I have a website built, but I want one of the pages to link to a Tumblr or a Blogger blog. But I want the URL of that blog to be "mysitesname.com/blog" or "blog.mysitesname.com" How do I do that without unlinking my URL from the main site and its pages?

I purchased my domain name on namecheap.com if that helps!

I hope that's clear enough to get some help from you guys! Thanks!

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    2 things involved here.

1. Do you have access to a DNS manager for your domain ?
    2. Does tumblr have a way to use a subdomain name ?

I know blogger does, or used to.

Under your management settings for the blog, one of the settings is use domain name, but I've used subdomains there as well. Enter the name you'd like to use.

Once you've submitted it, the settings you will need to enter under the DNS manager ( at your hosting provider ), will be provided.

Login to your DNS manager, make the changes...

Depending on several factors ( if you can even make DNS changes ), it can take a couple of hours to a couple of days before you'll be able to access it using the URL.

I will warn you though, its normally much better to create and maintain a "blog" on your own site, for SEO purposes. The main reason most people create blogs associated with a site is to draw traffic, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. But having your blog on a different server is not going to give you the link juice as if the blog were on the same server as the main site.

No, I don't have facts to back this up, but again, I've done those for several clients ( on their request because they liked using blogger over a customs interface ) , and the sites that had blogs on the main site always "ALWAYS", got better results than those that used blogger ( even though it was easier for clients to utilize ).

Member #
    Thanks a lot, Webzarus! That was helpful, I will try this later today. I do have access to DNS settings though Namecheap so this should work.

I have heard this about using external blogs, however, this is just starting out and I want to make it as easy as possible for now and I'll update it later. Part of this reason is that I don't have a clue how to make and maintain a blog on my website so, as you said, it'll be easier to use a third party platform.

If you have any suggestions of services that make it easy and somewhat automated to create or embed a blog into a webpage, please let me know.

Thanks again!

Remove Ads