Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    When i put my product pictures on the product pages the thumbnail images are cut off at the top or bottom and the images are blurry but the enlarged thumbnails of the same images are perfect. The pictures are in Jpeg as well.
    I have tried to change the thumbnail size in my media settings, as well as used the regenerate plugin which did nothing. I have attemped to resize the actual images through photo shop and this just makes the images larger and even more blurry.

I was given this code and told to put it in my style css but all it did was reduce the overall size of the product image it did not make it any clearer.

ul.products li.product a img { width:50%; height: 50%; }
    body div.product div.images img, body #content div.product div.images img {
    width: 25% !important;
    }

could anyone help me with this.

Cheers

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Most ( and let me stress most ), systems have certain size ( height and width ) specifications for images, expecially where you're dealing with a lot of images. And if the images that you start out with are not EXACTLY those dimensions, the systems don't do as you would expect.

Also, there is no CSS code that will change and images size ... Only its display properties ... Sure there are some PHP scripts that will optimize and even shrink an image... But if you start with images smaller than what they system specifies... Your images are going to "pixelate"... Or get fuzzy... Blurry...

Yes, many of those systems will allow you to adjust the "thumbnail" image size, but again, you need to start with a specific size image... Or nothing is going to work properly.

Member #
    Thank you for your assistance i will attempt this again

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What WZ said. A good CMS (I hate the term, but it applies here) will both proportionately resize the image to fit certain dimensions while retaining its aspect ratio in order to create the thumb. This is fairly easy when you're using a framework like say ASP.net, for example, as the base of your CMS. However, this seems to be a problem with a large percentage of them, if not the vast majority.

What may be easier than CSS in your particular case is to take the large images and run a batch in Photoshop to create the corresponding thumbs. Upload them and see what happens.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    There are actually some pretty decent thumbnail generation scripts out there in PHP, but the whole thing is based on uploading an image of a particular ratio... ( most tend to focus on standard image sizes ) but some will actually detect whatever you upload ( the actual file size... Height and width is usually attached as meta data ), but if that's missing ( some image editing programs will delete it )... Those programs that can detect the meta data... Will generate a thumbnail... Based on the original images size ... And yeah, there are a lot out there that don't ... They tell you what size it has to be... And if ou upload anything other than those dimensions... It pretty much does what the OP is saying is happening to his...

Remove Ads