Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have been attempting to sell advertising space on my web site directly to advertisers. I am having a problem getting anyone interested to view the ad page. In the last 30 days the advertise here page got 15 hits but only around 30 seconds on page time.

Any suggestions for getting better turn over? I have a link in the menu, and placeholder ad saying "Advertise Here".

Thanks,
    Greg Froning

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Not to be harsh, but why would anyone want to advertise on your site ? There's really no draw ... Meaning, sure you may have a few visitors, but its gonna be a very select and small demographic.

I looked at your site when I saw the post, couldn't quite figure out what market would be interested in paying to advertise there.

Besides that, people don't pay for advertising just because, they want to know who is seeing their ads, they want to know specifically how many time their ad has been seen, so they can track response rates.

It ( advertising on the web ), may seem simplistic to some people, but there is a whole lot more involved in getting people to spend money than just offering a place to do so.

And most people seeking to place ads are going to need proof that their ads are seen several thousand times a day... Yes a day.

And they want the visitor information of those that had seen the ads ... On your site , so they can build a demographic model to determine if their money is better spent on your site or some other site.

Now I know you're not asking much... But hey, there was this development site several years ago, to gauge response he put out an offer... He had a 1000px x 600px space set aside and offered the first 100 request space to place a small graphic with a back link... He filled that space in less than 2 hours... But he also had over a million page views per month...

The point is... Interest in advertising on your site will be relative to the number of visitors you have... Spend more time creating useful content that people will visit your site for... You will eventually start getting request for ads without you having to ask.

Oh... Again, not to be harsh, but lose the bit about "helping offset cost"... If you can't afford hosting, you shouldn't be on the web, but in "potential advertisers eyes"... This line of plea or reason for offering advertising to help you with cost... Isn't going to give them a warm fuzzy feeling about you or your site.

Come up with something positive... Tell them the benefits by advertising there...

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks Webzarus for the great response, I understand all your points and they are very valid.

I guess what I wasn't understanding is when I had my blog on a different domain, with less visitors, I was able to sell at least one ad spot a month for around $5-$10. I now have more visitors with similar content and can't move an ad spot.

I will definitely work on my advertise page and update it with some positive points and demographic points about my visitors and see if that helps out any.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    That ... And... Create more good, useful content that your visitors will want to follow or vist your site on a regular basis, or better yet, share with other people.

Once you build a following, you will get request to advertise.

Depending on who was buying your advertising previously, this just may have been a "right place at the right time" scenario of you.... The person buying ad space, was just trying to build some backlinks through cheap advertising streams.

That kind of mindset is generally waning as people are starting to understand "a back link is not a back link" , unless there is some contextual relevance to the back link. Whether it a link farm, link exchange, paid ads .... They just don't carry the weight they once did, for good reason.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    What WZ said, but there's something I'd add to it.

If you're going to sell advertising at all, look at something like Google Adsense to start with. Now, they recently started clamping down on the sites that can get in (your first site needs a certain traffic level that it didn't before, although I can't remember which). That way, you'll have something to make you money while you build the site.

Once you get enough traffic that advertisers start coming to you and asking you if they can get in, then you can sell it to them. The Doubleclick for Publishers Small Business guys recommend you sell the ads at double the cost of the amount of revenue the equivalent Adsense unit generates (e.g. if a 728 x 90 unit generates $100, you sell the ad for $200). That takes quite a bit of time, though.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Well I have decided to go back to using Google Adsense. I am pretty close to a cashout anyways, so figured I will do some testing and see if I can get to that point.

Remove Ads