Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Hi. So glad I found a forum like this, with people who can help me with my problem. I apologize in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong section, it seems right at the time of posting.

So, simply put, my employer is evading me when it comes to paying the rest of the money after I finished the job. I currently have control of the main account on the server, but she wants control too. Now, if I give it to her, she will likely change all passwords and probably never pay me, so I can't do that.

What do you suggest? Is there a way for me to access the server even after the password is changed? Something that I can upload on the server on a place only I know of which would give me access to the files on the server later if she really does refuse to pay?

Any ideas are welcome.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    You could simply take down the site all together and don't put it back up until she pays you the rest.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by thepaddyman123, post: 250829, member: 22596
    You could simply take down the site all together and don't put it back up until she pays you the rest.
    That is what I did, and I'm glad I did it. The sites that aren't paid for are offline right now, but I am just wondering and asking for ideas for a backup plan.

Are there any scripts like that, which could give me access to the files even though I don't have the passwords? A ''bug'' of some sorts.

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Your best bet is to just ASK for what you are owed, on payment in full, you will give the "access" not control of the server, unless of course they paid for it, and legally they are entitled to that control if they paid for it... The key word their is "paid"...

If they have not paid the full agreement the you have no obligation to give them access.

I take it you don't have a "contract" in place, if so, then send them a bill and a copy of the contract that states you will give control once the full payment has been made.

If you don't have a contract, then you are stuck, in some locations a "verbal contract" is legally binding but hard to enforce, written contracts no matter where are much easier way of handling this situation.

If you go putting scripts on a server, that you can manipulate the site with, and do so because they haven't paid you, or you get pissed off... Or no matter the reason, and you manage to shut their site down, what will that accomplish other than making you feel good for a few minutes... Probably nothing, but this can actually be bad news for you.

I am not a lawyer, or legal adviser in any capacity so nothing said here is meant to be interpreted as legal advice in any way.

What I do know, is people that have done what you're talking about usually ended up forfeiting everything they were owed, to keep from going to jail. Yes, what you are talking about is illegal, regardless of who owes who...

The fact that you mention this is "your boss", makes me think you are probably doing this on the side, seperate from whatever your normal duties are for this "boss"... And perhaps you're thinking if you press the issue for the rest of your money, it may affect your primary job...

If that's the case... Hate it for you, might wanna write this off as a learning experience...

If nothing else you learned : 1. Always have a contract for any work done for anyone that you actually expect to be paid for. 2. If you trust them enough to give them the finished product without being paid on delivery, then their failure to pay you is YOUR fault. 3. Business is cut throat, and sometime the one you think you can trust are the most cut throat.

Ask for a meeting, ask if there is some reason why you have not been paid the agreed upon price.

Straight questions require straight answers ... If you can't get those answers or the money, walk away.

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    While it seems like a good idea at the time, what you're doing (i.e. blocking your employer from using the finished product) may not be legal in your jurisdiction. If you build a site for someone in Ontario, for example, it's considered their intellectual property regardless of payment status (which is a stupid law because it doesn't give the designer/developer any protection, but it's there).

My own workaround for this is that I only work on sites for Ontario customers where I have control of the server and then I can shut them down for non-payment of the hosting bill, which is legal and standard practice. If the delinquent customer doesn't have proper backups of things (and no one ever does), then the customer has to pay all past bills in full. At this point, I give the customer 72 hours' access to download the site and move it off my server, and then it's their problem. Since the customer hasn't paid for future service and at this point I no longer wish to do business with them, it's the customer's responsibility to find a successor and to find a host themselves. Fortunately, I've only had to play this card a few times in 14 years.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    +1 to Webz - Simply tell her that you will be happy to grant her access to the server when her account is paid in full.

Member #
    Thanks everyone for the comments. I'll hold out, and wait 'till the end of May, and see what happens.

Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    So what happened? Did you get your money?

Member #
    Well, she contacted the hosting provider, and got the login info back, and changed everything. Without going into my further plans of revenge ( ), I waited for the end of May and contacted her today, so right now I'm waiting.

But I am getting impatient, and she doesn't realize that I'm a force to be reckoned with.

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    "plans of revenge" ? Honestly, sounds more like "plans to get arrested".
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Remove Ads