Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi everyone,

My question relates to making it easier to update my site.

The site that I've got running is at www.1000words.net - it shows a new photo and essay on the 'front' page every day. It involves me editing the main page, the gallery page and also the page individual to that submission. I do these changes manually. Hence, the updating method is quite primative and I want to go for a more easier or automated way to do it.

In contrast, for instance, there is the Mirror Project at www.mirrorproject.com - the method used to navigate is very similar to what I'm seeking because it shows a picture and also corresponding text to each 'page. Would someone be able to tell me what tools are used? Particularly for browsing (re: http://www.mirrorproject.com/mirror/recent/?id=17879), it works very simply and it would be nifty to have a search function.

Would anybody be able to get me started on a search? Was this site created using a particular software or code that I am able to obtain or learn from the internet? or was it something developed by a programmer? I would have done a search but I do not know the terms to use, hence why I have difficulty describing the effect I am looking for. Hence, knowing the 'terms' would be great.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

---
    A Picture's Worth - http://www.1000words.net

Member #
    Server Side Includes (SSI) can help you do this - and you can do it in dreamweaver too - using the're templates option I think.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    Thanks for your response. It's a pity that Dreamweaver doesn't work for me in terms of iframes.

Do you know the term that describes the effect that I'm looking for? It will help in my search. Thanks again.

Member #
    I don't unfortunately - although I'm sure others will be happy to help you in your quest, I don't really know anything else on this front.
    justlivyalife - The future depends on what we do in the present. (Mahatma Gandhi)
    WDF Resources: WDF Rules
    Non-WDF: JavascriptSource | Dynamic Drive | phpBB | HTML-Kit | Winamp | Download Firefox | Morguefile

Member #
    The content managment system was probably created using a server side language and a database (ie. php and mysql). www.hotscripts.com has a bunch of content managment systems that you can use on your site, and most of them are free.

Member #
    I know this thread is not intended to critique a site, but I find the borders of the thumb images annoying. I say either throw in some border="0" commands or change the color.

I just think the blue and the purple are so primitive. I love the sight though. That is quite a picture you took at Three Rivers!

BTW, I agree on the SSI. They work wonders for me, and I definitely recommend them. (Here's a useful site: http://www.carleton.ca/~dmcfet/html/ssi.html )
    BondMovies.com - "Nobody Does It Better."

Member #
    Hi Tom,

Hi, thanks for your response. A critique is more than fine. I certainly would agree that the border around the thumbnail images as BLUE would look terrible. Were you viewing it through netscape? If so, I wonder why it's not showing black borders. And I'm also guessing that you find that there are multiple scroll bars etc.

I'll certainly investigate SSI's further - it's just a matter of finding the time really.

I'm glad you like the site, Tom. Which Three River photo are you referring to?

Cheers,
    David

---
    A Picture's Worth - http://www.1000words.net

Member #
    It's not pure SSI, there must be some scripting involved. It's actually very simple to code such stuff, but it's boring and takes a bit time. If you draw the interface you want, I might try coding it on my spare time (if not, you still have a plan, right?). How many visitors do you have on average, and can you use a database (eg. MySQL)??

Remove Ads