Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    If a you have to build a website for someone do you use your own bank details to buy the hosting and they pay you every year or do they pay for the space using their own bank details...

Just wondering
    Dream like you'll live forever. Live like you're gonna die 2morrow!

Member #
    Liked
    137 times
    Let them pay for their own hosting. It's not your responsibility as a web designer to pay for that.
    The Rules
    Was another WDF member's post helpful? Click the like button below the post.

Admin at houseofhelp.com

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    People do different things in this case.

I have clients that "want control", so is have a reseller account that I out them on, they are billed for hosting, domain, email, etc... Yearly by that system.

Others, want a single bill yearly,but don't want to be bothered with all that. I either create an account in their name on my reseller system, with them listed as administrative account. But I bill them 2 months before expiration ... Then when they pay it, I pay their account.

Other people just want to pay ... So they are rolled into my general account.. Again, once a year I invoice them, they pay it....

Some out there, use hosting, email, etc... As a way to pad their profits ... They purchase a cheap "account " put numerous clients all on the same account, bill them a set $$$ a year, including their markup...

There's no set "correct answer" for this question ... Depends on how you and your client want to handle it.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    I agree. Let the client pay for the domain name and hosting. I have a "client" who's a friend. I set everything up in my name but each year when the subscription comes due I have to chase him down for the money. He still pays right before the deadline, luckily. If I am in this position in the future, I'm going to set up the account so that it does not autopay. That way, if I don't get paid, the site goes off line but at least I'm not out of pocket. Hmmm. Now that I'm typing this, it seems a bit mean to set it up this way. Might have to rethink this one....

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I either handle it myself or let the client handle it with a strong recommendation toward Sectorlink. Besides being a firm disbeliever in compartmentalized thinking, a lot of the time when I build a site I have specific things that I require on a server and I want to know the hosting provider can handle those sorts of requests. That, and I don't want the client to pick someone useless like HostGator where I know I'm going to run into stupid problems and have no real help.

Ultimately, how I handle it depends on the client, but in the end I usually end up dealing with it on my dedicated server. That way, I know how the box is configured. I know I either have what I require or can install it. And I retain control over things I need to retain control over.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Webzarus, post: 251161, member: 27723
    People do different things in this case.

I have clients that "want control", so is have a reseller account that I out them on, they are billed for hosting, domain, email, etc... Yearly by that system.

Others, want a single bill yearly,but don't want to be bothered with all that. I either create an account in their name on my reseller system, with them listed as administrative account. But I bill them 2 months before expiration ... Then when they pay it, I pay their account.

Other people just want to pay ... So they are rolled into my general account.. Again, once a year I invoice them, they pay it....

Some out there, use hosting, email, etc... As a way to pad their profits ... They purchase a cheap "account " put numerous clients all on the same account, bill them a set $$$ a year, including their markup...

There's no set "correct answer" for this question ... Depends on how you and your client want to handle it.
    Its not MEAN... Its business. When I handle this stuff for "friends", I explain, this is a business investment, nothing personal, just business. Most of the time, I walk them through setting up and account on my reseller plan, that way, they get the bills and I don't have to deal with that.

If I bill them, before I ever go into any business relationship with them, I explain it this way. This is my business, I am helping you out as a favor. I will invoice you for the amount, you pay it. That simple. If I have to ask you more than once to pay your bill, I assume our friendship doesn't mean a whole lot to you, in which case, I will not pay for you and you pay me back... That's like asking the bank to pay your monthly car payment to themselves and you pay them when you get around to it.

I had a "friend" that approached me, everything went along fine for a couple years, I invoiced him, he didn't pay, his hosting account was suspended. He got mad. I asked him, if you don't make your car payment, what happens ? If you don't make your house payment, what happens ?

He said, but your a friend.

I looked at him and said, yes, I'm a friend, and as a friend, I would never ask a friend of mine to pay my way. If you need help, just ask. Don't assume I'm the bank.

I was just his starting of a downward spiral ... Business wise, financially, personally. I got out early, he didn't pay, so I cut the amount he owed me. Others weren't so lucky. He has numerous claims in court, owes one supplier over 80k , because as a friend, he fronted him and allowed him to slide... Knew he was "good for it"... Well, now he learned the hard way how to seperate friendship and business .

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    This is also the reason I generally don't get involved in business relationships with friends and relatives. If something goes south, I still have to deal with the person after.

If that person becomes a friend as the result of our business, that's one thing (and it does happen quite a bit), but the person never starts out that way. We just end up developing respect for each other because we each know that the other knows what (s)he is talking about.

I've seen too many relationships destroyed over business deals gone bad and friends that let things slide to ever want to go down that road myself. I wouldn't even hire my wife to help me out for that reason...she's my wife. I'd like to keep her as my wife. Therefore, I don't want a business fight to get in the way. (That, and I'm a big believer in "two people too close too often" in those situations).
    Alanna Baxter likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    171 times
    If they are local I will sit down with them and help get there domain and host all set up. I usually recommend Hostmonster which I have an affiliate link for that kicks me back $65 per sign up so I go that route besides I am familiar with Hostmonster and what it offers. If they are not local I email step by step instructions how to go about purchasing the domain and host, then they email the sign in information so I can set up a remote FTP account for myself.

Remove Ads