Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Hi everyone!

I am currently designing my own artist website, and I am suddenly wondering in what way should I do it. Basically it consists in one 3D setting built with blender with an elevator in the middle. There will be side buttons on which the user will be able to click to make the elevator go up or down (I attached an image for more clarity), and there will be on each level things to click on in the image. I wonder what to use to make that since I want a video of the elevator (and other little details) moving in between the categories.

I used to do things with flash, but I am now afraid about the compatibility with apple devices (and others), so I wondered if there was a way around. My idea so far is to have A LOT of animated gifs associated with the html area tag (to have the objects in the image clickable), but that could quickly make my website too heavy I imagine...and of poor quality. Is there anything I don't know that could help me? I can basically render it in any way with blender, even a series of pngs.

The ideal would be to find a way to have the images precisely replaced by a video during the transitions - like in Myst where the videos are embedded in the 3D images - but that seems difficult to accomplish.

Thank you for your help!

julien.

PS: the attached image does not include any button or clickable object, since I am waiting to find a solution to this issue before adding them.

Preview2.png

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    In theory...and I say in theory because I've never even remotely attempted anything like this myself, and I don't think anyone else has either...CSS3 transitions and/or the jQuery UI could provide the animation you're seeking, since I'd imagine the elevator would move in a straight up and down fashion. The downside of the former is that IE8 and below don't support CSS3, so you might need hacks to get IE8/7 to work (although 7 will be less of an issue in less than a year when MS retires XP for good). The downside of the latter is that it's jQuery and thus not everyone will have it enabled.

Your idea looks wicked awesome on the surface, but this may be a case where you're thinking about 5 years ahead of the rest of the world and a lot of what you come up with will be entirely up to you and you'll just have to hack through the wilderness and get pissed off several times until you get exactly what you want.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    770 times
    The biggest problem with what you're trying to do is the browser isn't currently capable to render what you want as fast as you want to make it a viable presentation. Not without some
    Sort of viewer that will assemble and render it properly.

Browser limitations are based on the fact that whatever you want to display needs to be in the PC memory BEFORE it can be displayed to the visitor.

That being said, there is a 3DS export from some programs that will do what you're talking about. There is a software package I'm familiar with that does 3D drawings, pretty powerful, can do exactly what you're talking about, solidworks. But even after the expense of the software, its not really designed for "web based" exports, but there is a 3rd party plugin that will export it out. Then they have a browser plugin to render the output.

Most 3d stuff of any quality is intended for playback within standalone players that are specifically built to render all the frames associated with the multiple layers and positions of objects that give it the 3d effect.

Sadly,flash is about the only current "readily available" format that handles this half way decently. If they export out straight to a movie format ... All interactivity is lost... Only using the flash export or the 3rd party plugin do you keep the click and move functions.

There's talk of expanding the html5 standards ( I can't think of the standard right off ), but the concern for it right now is the lack of the browsers current capability in combination with pre-loading images to get the proper effects.

Member #
    Thank you both for your answers, it seems indeed tricky. I think I'm gonna give it a try with animated gifs at 12 frs/sec and see already how big are the files. Since there is no total compatibility with percents when using area tag, I would have to do a different version for each resolution - it's annoying, and a lot of work, but I can do it.

I'll let you know how the tests go, though I can already see myself running towards a massive failure.

Thanks again for your answers.

julien.

Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Check out this dude's site: http://grzegorzkozak.pl/

He has a lot of smooth transitioning, animation, scrolling, etc going on. You might contact him and see how he accomplished his portfolio. My guess would be extensive jQuery UI, but I could be wrong.

Remove Ads