Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Parallax sites

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Is anyone else getting sick if this trend?
    It was cool when it first appeared, but the more I see of these sites the more inconvenient and irritating I find them. And there seem to be so many of them now.

I can see using one as a stopgap, temp site while developing a properly coded site with actual pages (I've done it myself in the past), but why use them for a full site?

It seems to me that if your content is worth reading, it's worth an actual page.

Just wondering... does anyone else have any opinions (pro or con) on this?
    TheGAME1264 likes this.
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    I said the exact same thing the second time I saw it (I did think it was cool the first time). It just looks like a gimmick to mask lack of real content, originality, and thought.

I can see a use for loading additional content without a full page load...that makes sense. I don't, however, get this "I need to have things slide and slide and slide again" and create some bloated single page full of not much of anything.
    AlphaMare likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    123 times
    I barely have seen parallax around. I never liked it too much, just because it made me a bit naseous. And it was a gimmick - it was just a novel thing that people say "cool" and then forget about. I can see some creative agencies making use of it for a site here and there, but I don't see regular web designers using it. A problem with parallax is that in Chrome, whem I use my wheel to scroll, I scroll immediately, not smoothly, so parallax effects usually look awful. I have no desire to learn parallax at the moment. Flat design is probably the trend I'm going to explore next.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    It gets worst...now you can use parallax scrolling with responsive design: Cool Kitten

Member #
    Liked
    205 times
    The worst part is "parallax scrolling" isn't parallax. It's simulated perspective. Impossible to simulate parallax with a single screen. You need goggles to do that.

Member #
    Liked
    878 times
    Quote Originally Posted by smoseley, post: 251373, member: 824
    ... Impossible to simulate parallax with a single screen. You need goggles to do that.
    YAY! I thought I was the only one who thought this was the wrong appellation for this effect!! (MY highlighting)

Source - Merriam-Webster Dictionary.
    Definition of PARALLAX

: the apparent displacement or the difference in apparent direction of an object as seen from two different points not on a straight line with the object; especially : the angular difference in direction of a celestial body as measured from two points on the earth's orbit.
    PARALLAX for Kidsthe apparent shift in position of an object as seen from two different points not on a straight line with the object
    Good design should never say "Look at me!"
    It should say "Look at this." ~ David Craib

http://digitalinsite.ca ~ my current site . . info@digitalinsite.ca ~ my email

If you feel that someone's post helped you fix your problem, answered your question, or just made you feel better, feel free to "Like" their post. The "Like" link is at the bottom right of each post, along side the "reply" link. And if you are being helped here, try to help someone else - pass it on!

Remove Ads