Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hey there guys, i've got some great news! I've actually been put on a shortlist for a job at an online company. They've asked me to brush up on the following topics and i was hoping you could help me.

I've got i think a week to brush up on these topics:

1.) payment processing
    2.) google Map API's
    3.) Responsive Web Design using twitter bootstrap
    4.) Foundation by Zurb

PHP Frameworks i need to brush up on:
    1.) Codeigniter

could you guys suggest or give a brief description of the first 4? and also any kind of resource would be appreciated. as for the framework and great resources are also appreciated.

cheers!

Member #
    Liked
    2783 times
    1) Payment processing is the process by which a credit card or some other form of payment attempt is processed online. PayPal, for example, is a payment processor (although a very unique one). There are several payment processors, and all of their services and APIs are different, so there's no real way to cover this topic in full or even provide resources. I've worked with quite a few of them, and no two are alike.

2) The Google Maps API (not sure why you put the 's after it) is an API that you can use to put maps on your site. It also includes the Directions API, which allows users to get directions from their location of choice to the one you put on the map for them.

I've used it several times to plot out store/business locations, allow people to enter directions, and I've even used polygons to define a few of my clients' service areas. It's pretty easy for a seasoned code warrior to use and can do quite a bit.

https://developers.google.com/maps/

3) Responsive Web Design is a pretentious way of saying "set up your website so that it works on all different browsers and media types and at all sorts of different resolutions." Your design will change depending on the screen resolution (usually the width, although I think you can do this with height as well...haven't tried yet), giving users of different devices more tailored viewing experiences. Google in particular has stated that they prefer responsive design over mobile-specific websites in conferences.

I've started playing with it myself, but I haven't actually put an example of anything I'm doing live yet.

Twitter Bootstrap: never used it.

4) Never heard of it.

The problem I see is that the "company" wants you to "brush up" on four very different things that cover both design and development, at least one of which (payment processing) requires the documentation associated with the individual payment processor(s) you're going to use at the time, and thus requires quite a bit of time by itself. That's usually the sign of a company that doesn't know what it wants or needs and grabbed a whole bunch of things and ideas either from useless employees who use generic terms and phrases to rationalize their existence or from other job sites. So I'm calling BS on the company.
    Richard Abear likes this.
    If I've helped you out in any way, please pay it forward. My wife and I are walking for Autism Speaks. Please donate, and thanks.

If someone helped you out, be sure to "Like" their post and/or help them in kind. The "Like" link is on the bottom right of each post, beside the "Share" link.

My stuff (well, some of it): My bowling alley site | Canadian Postal Code Info (beta)

Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Ha-ha, thanks man. I appreciate the info.

Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Foundation by Zurb like Twitter Bootstrap is a framework used by many developers to help them code responsive web designs.

I don't know why a company would want you to learn both. I would think a company would prefer one and stick too it.

Remove Ads